This recipe is the result of a happy accident. I tried to veganise a ‘blondie’ (aka caramel brownie) recipe, and it nearly ended in disaster.
It turns out that I should have read the recipe all the way through. I can hear my 7th grade Home Ec teacher reminding me to”first, read the recipe”, and I will try my very best to remember this.
On the other hand, if I hadn’t been so scatty and gung-ho, I wouldn’t have ended up with this lush, vegan, caramel/fudge hybrid.
The problem was, I decided to substitute EVERYTHING in a standard recipe, and also didn’t follow the instructions. Which meant I had a panicked moment as the mixture split.
So to avoid any mixture splitting disasters, make sure you follow these key points:
- Melt the coconut oil so its runny.
- Unlike a standard brownie recipe, you NEED to beat the mix for AGES. At least 50 or 60 times around the bowl. Even better, put it in a food processor or mixer
- Make sure the mix is reaaaaaaaaally well mixed. Otherwise it will split when you heat it.
- Make sure you mix it really well (did I say that already? Well believe me- you need to do this.)
- You’ll need to thoroughly cool these (pop them in the fridge!) for a few hours before you can cut them into squares.
The texture of these is a bit like a caramel fudge, a bit like a brownie. They’re quite squishy, so if you want to give them to someone for Christmas (Which I’m fairly certain most people would gratefully recieve) make sure you layer them in between little squares of grease proof paper & keep them in a cool place.
[amazon_link asins=’B0080E4JTQ,B004PZAJM0,B005UX2Q7W,152196923X,0224095587,1592332803′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’popandthebee-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’fcfc012b-de6b-11e7-94b8-71770af6814c’]
A gooey caramel treat that's somewhere between a Blondie & Fudge. Don't tell anyone it's vegan!
- 115 grams coconut oil
- 130 grams plain flour
- 215 grams Coconut sugar OR Brown sugar
- 1 Tbs ground flax seed mixed with water, enough to form a thick liquid.
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbs cocoa nibs OPTIONAL but nice.
Heat your oven to 175C/ Gas Mark 4
Line a 20 x 20cm brownie tin with greaseproof paper
Melt your coconut oil, and add all the ingredients into a mixing bowl
Beat reaaaaaaaallllly well. At least 50-60 times around the bowl. Better yet, mix it all in a food processor or electric mixer.
Pour the mixture into the tin & bake in the oven for 40 mins.
Leave to cool completely before cutting into squares.