Ahhhh, the traditional Christmas vegetable, that has also traditionally polarised people. Well, not this version. There are so many amazing ways to eat these incredible beautiful vegetables - the Brussel sprout! These Cheezy Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Lemon and Garlic will have you cooking them not just at Christmas for sure. They are crispy from being roasted with garlic, zesty from the lemon and cheezy from the almond parmesan plus topped off with chestnuts. This is a fun way of doing sprouts, and so impressive to bring out to the family as a side dish on Christmas day! It is also a perfect dish for any vegan roast dinner!
As a child I wasn’t a fan of Brussel sprouts. Probably because I only ever had them boiled to death, and let’s face it, they have quite a strong taste! Roasting vegetables really brings out their natural sweetness, and is such a versatile way to cook as you can experiment with the flavours you roast them with, and this dish has the perfect combination.
I’ve used lemon zest, smoked garlic (but regular garlic is also yum!) and almond parmesan, plus chestnuts. So first, the lemon zest gives it a fresh taste which contrasts with the stronger garlic and parmesan. Garlic is just simply a must in roast veg and makes everything taste better. Louise had some smoked garlic in her kitchen when I made this, so that went straight in for a oakey tasty kick! Chestnuts are quintessentially Christmasy, so I had to have these in one part of our Christmas dinner. They are packed full of protein and have a great chewy texture when they’re cooked.
We have to discuss almond parmesan! Cheese is often a big topic of conversation when it comes to veganism or trying more plant based food. There are some incredible vegan cheese companies out there, and we’re lucky enough to know some of them as many are London based. However, most of them sell online so you can order their fabulous products for Christmas. We were gifted this Almond "Parmesans" by I Am Nut Ok. Started by Angela, this company makes incredible nut based cheeses that are to die for. Everything from Goats Cheese, Truffle and Mushroom Faux Gras pate, Matured Cheddary, and much more. Their almond parmesan is perfect for roast veg, soups, stews and salads, AND, it keeps for a long time. This healthy alternative to dairy parmesan is made primarily from almonds and other tasty natural ingredients and flavours. We're a little addicted to it!
You can of course make this Cheezy Vegan Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Lemon and Garlic dish your own by adding nuts instead of chestnuts and other herbs and spices. Up to you. Enjoy Christmas and look out for our other sides and centrepiece ideas!
Cheezy Vegan Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Lemon and Garlic
- 400 g big handfuls of Brussel sprouts (4 cups)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Zest of one unwaxed lemon
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed (use smoked garlic if you have it)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Handful of cooked chestnuts, broken up
- 4 tbsp almond parmesan (we used I Am Nut Ok’s version) or just use nutritional yeast
- For topping: extra zest and almond parmesan
- Pre heat oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas Mark 6.
- Cut off the stems of the sprouts and make a small cross with a knife across the bottom, just a few millimetres deep.
- Par-boil the sprouts for a few minutes in boiling water to allow them to soften a little. Drain.
- Cut the sprouts in half and place in a baking tray.
- Add to the baking tray the rest of the ingredients except the toppings. Mix together well.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the sprouts are roasted and have browned a bit around the edges.
- To serve, sprinkle with some additional lemon zest and parmesan.