I’m writing this easy Potato, Tofu & Greens Curry Recipe on a hastily organised train trip up to York, wishing that I hadn’t accidently left the leftovers in the fridge.
You see I recipe tested this last night, with the aim to have an easy, ready to eat meal that meant no scrambling at the station for something sustaining. (yes, I like cold curry. Especially cold curry with potatoes in it)
And instead I’m eating crisps. #veganfail
This is what happens when you’re living life at a billion miles an hour, sometimes you forget to pack your lunch. And your snacks. There's nothing worse than a hangry moment.
Which brings me to why we’re currently obsessed with the Honestly Spice mixes. I love cooking from scratch, because I know what is going into my food, and am more than happy to cook a whole curry from the start, grinding spices, blending them, tasting and experimenting with new recipes. However this usually only happens on a lazy day that I’ve set aside for cooking, and right now unfortunately these are few and far between, unless it is directly related to a blog post. (I know. Poor me. World’s tiniest violin)
Anyway- what is brilliant about these spice mixes is that
A) they taste utterly brilliant.
B) they’re a doddle to use and
C) there are absolutely no nasties in them.
Just pure, unadulterated spices. You simply sautee your veggies in a little oil, then add the spices to the oil & veggies and turn them around to toast up and release their aromas for a bit, then add the water & simmer.
Utterly brilliant. Utterly delicious.
You could use the Honestly Biryani Spice mix that we sent in the August box as per their instructions as the classic Biryani layered rice dish (there are instructions on the packet) but I was in a hurry and wanted potatoes. So you get this recipe instead. Which is just as delicious and easy to make.
If you got our August box, please do let us know what you think of the mix & if you love it as much as we do!
You can buy Honestly Spice mixes from their online store. (and soon you can buy them in our online store too! Watch this SPACE! – exciting things are afoot)
Potato, Tofu & Greens Curry
- 1 Pack Honestly Biriyani Powder (If you don't have this to hand, use 3 Tbs garam marsala, 1 Tsp of cumin & 1 tsp of turmeric + add two garlic cloves)
- 2-3 Tbs oil we used Rapeseed oil
- 150 mls I added more because the potatoes needed it of water
- 400 g new potatoes
- 1 pack extra firm tofu we love Tofuu smoked tofu or Fetu fermented tofu
- ½ red or yellow pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 Large Handful of greens: We used what we had in our garden which was a mixture of chard and kale but you could also use spinach or spring greens. Or go crazy and use broccoli.
- Rice or Chapatis to serve our easy flatbreads are amazing for mopping up juices
- Sautee the pepper & onion with the oil until the onion is transclucent
- Add the Biryani Spice Mix & sautee for a few seconds to release their flavour
- Add the water & potatoes & simmer until the potatoes are soft (around 15 mins- add extra water if it is looking dry)
- Add the tofu chunks & simmer for another minute so the tofu absorbs the delicious flavours.
- Add the chopped up spinach/chard/kale or other greens that you're using & simmer until softened.
- Serve over rice or with some flatbreads