We have a go-to end of week dinner that we utterly love (this recipe) that's basically potatoes that are trying to be patatas bravas, but easier. I always end up making WAY too many & so end up creating this Spicy Breakfast Hash Scramble for Stop Food Waste Day.
It's been said (possibly even by me) that there is no such thing as left over potato, but i have a tendency to always over cater. I can't help myself. I also hate wasted food. I grow a lot of my own veggies and now I know how much love, blood & sweat is poured into producing my favourites, I cannot but look at a lonely tomato or a sad left over tattie and think- I have a use for you!
This means that I constantly have a food dilemma in my kitchen. On the one hand, a bunch of delicious food that I over catered for. On the other. I don't want to bin perfectly edible yums.
And this. THIS.. is where I get creative. And a little lazy.
You see. Left overs are food that's already cooked. You don't wanna mess up a bunch of new pans making them taste good. You need them to be chucked into a one pan wonder, or made into a sandwich.
My thrifty brekky Hash Scramble is PERFECT for this. Those spicy brava potatoes that I greedily made yesterday (from this recipe) , pair amazingly with a tofu scramble.
Add some spicy extra Chipotle Mayo from our faves, Rubies in the Rubble (also made with left over chickpea juice) and you have the PERFECT long weekend breakfast.
All you need to do is add a wholesome green juice & some coffee...
We teamed up with Rubies in The Rubble https://rubiesintherubble.com/
Stop Food Waste Day
Spicy Breakfast Hash Scramble
- 100g or so leftover potatoes we had leftovers from Spanish style spicy potatoes, but you could use plain boiled or roasted potatoes too.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- handful cherry tomatoes, halved
For the scramble
- 200g (or half pack) firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp Rubies in the Rubble Chipotle Mayo
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp turmeric
- pinch black salt this gives an eggy taste- you can leave this ingredient out
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 50ml plant milk
- Mash and mix together all the ingredients for the scramble. It should look a little like scrambled eggs.
- In a frying, heat the oil, then add the potatoes, the cherry tomatoes and the scramble ingredients.
- Cook on a medium heat for around 5 minutes, breaking up the potatoes so they are a bit squished and ensuring that the scramble mix is heated through.
- Serve with extra dollops of Chipotle Mayo & toast.