For years I have had comments on my breakfast bowls; people asking me what’s in it and how to make it. I love my Vegan Superfood, High Protein Breakfast Bowl recipe as it is packed full of healthy, delicious, wholefoods, keeps you full for hours and is colourful and fun! Made with quinoa flakes or oats, all sorts of nuts and seeds, and topped with yoghurt, fruit and nut butter. Bonus: you can choose what you put in it; the kinds of fruits you like best, nuts, and your favourite nut butter.
Even though this vegan breakfast bowl has quite a few different ingredients, it is actually super easy to make, and doesn’t involve any actual cooking!! The great thing about this recipe is that it will last for days (or even over a week depending on how much you eat each day). I put at least half of this mix in my freezer in several tupperwares, then take one out when I need to, which will last me a few days. Up to you how much you freeze; depends if you plan on eating it for breakfast everyday.
🥣Oats and Alternatives
A big problem I hear people talk about is that breakfast doesn’t always fill them up. They often eat a load of oats (in the form of porridge) then feel quite bloated and hungry again in a couple of hours. This recipe is packed full of good fats and fibre, and is high protein from all the nuts, seeds, nut butter and fruit. All of which are key for staying full, for good gut health and for your general health. I am so full after this breakfast I can go for hours!
So for the main base, I use quinoa flakes instead of oats. Quinoa is great as it contains loads of protein. Perfect for keeping you going all day! The base is made by putting all your dry ingredients in a bowl and mixing them with water so they swell up, leaving them a few hours or better still, overnight. Quinoa flakes, oats and chia seeds massively increase in size when mixed with water, which helps keep you nice and full! Of course you can then heat up some of the mixture for a hot superfood porridge-like breakfast bowl.
The types of nuts and seeds you use is totally up to you. I love pumpkin seeds, brazil nuts, walnuts and almonds. Using a mix of nuts is great for health, as they all have different benefits. Other nuts and seeds like sunflower seeds, pistachios and hazelnuts also work - sometimes it depends what you have in your cupboard.
Topping your breakfast bowl is probably the most fun part. If I have used cacao in my base mix, then I love using orange and banana, as chocolate orange or banana is a fabulous combo! If I use cinnamon, then apples and berries are delicious. Again, totally up to you. Then I top with yoghurt. There are so many amazing vegan, dairy-free yoghurts out there. I love Coconut Collaborative Natural Vegan Yoghurt as it’s so creamy and doesn’t have any nasties. For an extra treat, I use Inspiriko’s Love Thy Gut superfood mix in the yoghurt. This has a load of prebiotic and probiotic superfoods, and the best bit… it is absolutely incredible tasting, so berry-like and satisfying. We were first gifted this by Inspiriko to begin with, then I became a customer!
🥜 Nut Butters
Leaving the best until last, it is the nut butter topping that really finishes this breakfast bowl off for a King or Queen’s breakfast! I am addicted to nut butter; it is delicious, healthy and filling. There are some incredible vegan nut butters on the market. One of the ones we’ve used here is Jake’s Boost (gifted), made by a couple who come up with incredible flavour combos including; banana nut and seed butter; and cacao nibs, chia and peanuts. I also regularly use Biona Organic Almond Butter and Biona Organic Smooth Peanut Butter.
This breakfast bowl is perfect to take to work, or when you’re out on the go. Just make up a portion in a tupperware and you’re good to go. You can even take the dry mix travelling with you, and add a bit of hot water to a portion in the morning. So many possibilities. This vegan breakfast bowl is the perfect staple to your routine and can be mixed up and kept interesting by the array of fruit, seeds and nut butter available.
Handy Shopping List
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase we may earn a commission from them, which helps us keep our blog going! We link to these companies and their products because we love them & use them and not because of the commission we receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you!
Vanessa’s Vegan Superfood, High Protein Breakfast Bowl
The Main Superfood Mix
- 100 g quinoa (optional)
- 150 g quinoa or oat flakes (use double if not using quinoa as well)
- ½ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- ½ cup linseed (milled or whole, or mix of both)
- 1 cup mix nuts (such as almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts)
- 2-3 tbsp cinnamon or cacao powder (optional)
- 500 ml to 1 litre water (or more depending on the consistency you want)
Breakfast Bowl Topping
- Sprinkling gogi berries
- Dollop Vegan dairy-free yoghurt (maybe mixed with superfood gut health yummy mix by Inspiriko)
- Fruit of your choice chopped
- Dollop nut butter of your choice; we’re loving Jake’s Boost natural nut butters!
The Main Superfood Mix
- Cook the quinoa and set aside.
- In a big mixing bowl place all the other dry ingredients and mix together.
- Start to pour in water to let all the dry ingredients swell up. Start with 500 ml, then work up to 1 litre. Keep pouring in water until it becomes a thick porridge-like consistency. Give it a few minutes after you pour each bit of water - there can be a delay in things like chia seeds soaking up water.
- Don’t make the mixture too runny. When you get a bit out the fridge each day to make breakfast it is nice to add a bit of hot water for warmth, which will also give it a slightly runnier consistency. But really it is up to you how you like it!
- Add the cooked optional quinoa, if using. Mix in well.
- Let rest for at least an hour so that the grains and quinoa flakes swell. You can also leave this overnieght in the fridge.
Breakfast Bowl Topping
- When you are ready to eat, put a few spoonfuls of your superfood mix into a bowl. Maybe add a bit of extra hot or cold water if you want it more runny.
- Top with items of your choice; fruit, nut butter, vegan yoghurt.