This indulgent-tasting Vegan Carrot Cake Parfait is perfect for summer parties, dinner parties or just for a treat for you! Made as either one large centrepiece parfait, or individual portions; both being equally impressive. It's made with carrot flavoured vegetable sheets from an innovative small company called Veggie Sheet. *this is a sponsored post with Veggie Sheets.
The key ingredient in this recipe are the carrot flavoured veggie sheets, which not only help create the beautiful layers, but give the dessert that real carrot flavour. The sheets are made by a company called Veggie Sheet, who made it their mission to reduce waste. They take waste vegetables from first world countries and turn them into sheets that can be used for a variety of dishes. They have 5 flavours, which adds to their versatility. We've been making all sorts of delicious things with them, like these Spicy Vegan Macadamia Muhamarra Canapes. The sheets can be used in various ways, for example:
🥕 rolled by putting them in water to give them flexibility
🥕 shaped into 'cups' with the filling of your choice
🥕 made into a jelly-like crystals by dissolving in water, letting it set in the fridge, then scrapping it with a fork (this is how the carrot layers are made in this recipe)
🥕made into crispy shards by frying them (also used in this recipe as decoration)
As the sheets are made from actual vegetables and have no artificial colourings, they are super healthy. They are also gluten free! You can buy them directly from Veggie Sheet or from Amazon! (afflilate link)
What makes a parfait is the layers. This vegan carrot cake parfait has 3 key layers, which all need to be made separately, then layered. Each layer is very simple to make. When making these, you can do one or two sets of layers, then add the extra decoration on the top.
Layer 1 - biscuity crumble, made mostly from oats and nuts, but held together with coconut oil and linseed (affiliate link). This is adapted from our cheesecake bases, which are absolutely incredible, such as our Vegan Lemon and Blueberry Baked Cheesecake.
Layer 2 - the creamy filling! We created two options here; one healthier than the other. The higher calorie and higher fat version (very indulgent) is made with some coconut cream (affiliate link), while the low calorie and fat version uses vegan Greek yoghurt. Two of our favourite vegan Greek yoghurts are by Sojade and Oatly.
Layer 3 - the carrot veggie sheets (affiliate link) in jelly-like crystals, which I describe above and you'll see in the recipe.
Decoration - the carrot veggie sheet shards, made by frying them in a little oil so they go crispy. Very simple and delicious.
As long as you don't eat them immediately (it's hard not to!) they'll be fine in the fridge for a good few days. I'd advise decorating with veggie sheet shards just before serving, as the crispy shards can go a bit soggy from the creamy layer.
Absolutely. Just layer in one large dish. You may want to double the ingredients for the larger version.
If you love this Vegan Carrot Cake Parfait, I think you'll love these recipes:
If you liked this recipe as much as we did, please rate it below, and please share the yumminess with your friends!
Vegan Carrot Cake Parfait
For the biscuit layer
- 30 g oats (use gluten-free oats if desired) (⅓ cup)
- 30 g mixed almonds and walnuts (⅓ cup)
- 15 g coconut palm sugar (1 ¼ tbsp)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 10 g milled (blended) linseed / flaxseed (2 tbsp)
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 20 g coconut oil, melted (2 tbsp)
- 50 g raisins / sultanas (⅓ cup)
For the cream filling (really indulgent option)
- 225 g Coconut cream (use a tin of coconut cream, or take a tin of full fat coconut milk and put in the fridge for a few hours to separate the cream from the milk, then scoop off the cream leaving the liquid behind for future use) (just under 1 cup)
- 175 g plain vegan yoghurt (¾ cup)
- 20 g caster sugar (2 tbsp)
- 1 tsp orange or lemon extract
Alternative cream filling (slightly healthier option)
- 400 g thick vegan yoghurt (Greek Style) (1 ¾ cups)
- 20 g caster sugar or a small squeeze of agave (2 tbsp)
- 1 tsp orange or lemon extract
- 3 Carrot Veggie Sheets
- 150 ml boiling water (⅔ cup)
- Olive oil, for frying (small amount or just a few sprays)
- Soak 2 veggie sheets in the boiling water and stir until dissolved. Refrigerate until set; it will set like jelly (about an hour). When ready to use, gently scrape with a fork to make little jelly crystals.
- Make the biscuit layer by blending together the oats, almonds, walnuts, coconut palm sugar, salt, ginger and mixed spice. Transfer to a bowl, then add the melted coconut oil and mix well.
- Spread the biscuit mixture on a baking sheet. Bake for 6 minutes at 180°C. Careful it doesn’t burn. Once cool, transfer to a bowl and mix in the raisins / sultanas.
- Make the cream filling (choose which option you want) by mixing the coconut cream, vegan yoghurt, caster sugar and orange extract in a bowl. Or simply mix the Greek yoghurt with the sugar and extract for the healthier version.
- Cut the final veggie sheet into quarters (4 squares), to make it easier to handle. Fry the pieces on a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan. Flipping over with tongs or fish slices.
- Layer your parfait in a few clear glass tumblers or one bigger glass dish. The layers are as follows:👩🏽🍳Biscuit👩🏽🍳Veggie sheet (jelly style)👩🏽🍳Cream filling
- To finish: sprinkle a little of the biscuit base on top, add a few lumps of jelly and add the fried veggie sheet in shards to decorate. (Best to add the fried veggie sheet just before serving so they don’t get soggy)