This utterly delicious recipe for Vegan Chocolate Salted Caramel Pots has to be one our favourites of the summer. Of course it’s chocolate (Vanessa remains obsessed - that won’t change). We’ve managed to make a dessert which, no joke, tastes like the chocolate rolo sweets from our pre-vegan days - but in DESSERT form.
Yep. We did it. And it is every bit as AMAZING as it sounds.(We are so excited for you to try it!)
Best of all? It's not very complicated. Yay! We’ve made the most simple 3 ingredient salted caramel sauce, and 4 ingredient creamy chocolate mixture to go on top. And… you make enough salted caramel sauce to have enough for other uses too, such as drizzling on pancakes, making sticky toffee pudding, or even, just eating neat with a spoon! Yum! Yes that happened.
We use coconut milk for both the salted caramel, and the chocolate part. For the chocolate bit, it gives a really creamy, milky texture and flavour, which takes you back to those childhood sweets! And this dessert is gluten free and nut free, as well of course completely vegan and dairy free.
To serve you can use as much or as little salt as you want - depends on your taste. We love the combination of chocolate, salt and caramel, so we lean to the liberal side here!
Although we're bringing this recipe out in Summer, we think this dish is perfect for any season. It's perfect for Summer as it's a chilled dessert, which is just what you want for an after dinner treat on a hot day. And it's great for winter - because, well, we just love it, and chocolate is always a good idea.
Vegan Chocolate Salted Caramel Pots
For the salted caramel sauce
- 150 g brown sugar
- 1 tin full fat coconut milk 400ml
- 1-2 tsp sea salt
To make the Chocolate Pots
- 18 tsp salted caramel sauce see recipe above - you want around 3 tsp per serving, but you might want to add more- which is totally understandable.
- 200 g vegan dark chocolate broken into pieces
- 50 g Coconut oil
- 300 ml full fat coconut milk ¾ of a tin
- 1 tsp Sea salt optional
- Plus 6 ramekins or glasses - glasses are lovely as you can see the chocolate and caramel through them
For the salted caramel sauce
- Place sugar and coconut milk in a heavy-based saucepan. Stirring or whisking continuously, bring to the boil on a medium heat. Once boiled, turn down the heat.
- Let the sugar and coconut milk thicken on this low heat, stirring or whisking as much as possible. This may take around 10-15 minutes. It will be ready when it is a caramel consistency. If you want it to be thicker, boil for longer to let more liquid evaporate.
- Remove from the heat and add the sea salt to taste.
- Once it is cooled, it can be stored in an airtight container or jar in the fridge for 4-5 weeks.
To make the chocolate pots
- Take your ramekins or glasses, and put 3 tsp of the salted caramel sauce in each. (or more depending on your desire to eat caramel sauce)Put in fridge while you are making the chocolate mixture.
- Place a heat proof bowl over water that has just boiled, and add the chocolate and coconut oil. Allow them to melt, but do not let the water below boil.
- Once the chocolate and coconut oil has totally melted, take them off the heat.
- Add the coconut milk slowly, whisking all the time. Keep whisking until you have a creamy, smooth and shiny chocolate sauce.
- Take the ramekins or glasses out the fridge. Carefully spoon the chocolate mixture on top of the caramel sauce, dividing it between the 6 ramekins.
- Leave to set in the fridge for a couple of hours, or until firm.
- Garnish by sprinkling sea salt on top of each dessert.