The Classic Egg Salad Sandwich has been given a vegan makeover! These Vegan Tofu Egg Salad Sandwiches are so easy to make that you'll wonder why you haven't made them sooner! I've even included 3 flavour variations, so you can tailor them to your taste buds!
🥪What are the key ingredients?
The base ingredients for these tofu 'egg' salad are quite simple.
🌱Firm tofu: the bouncy texture once crumbled up is perfect to replace the 'egg'. Bonus is it's full of protein!
🌱Vegan Mayo: there are loads of great vegan mayonaises available now. Or you could make your own.
🌱Kala Namak: also known as black salt. It has an eggy, sulphourous smell that really mimics that eggy flavour! Magic, but be careful, you don't need a lot!
🌱Turmeric: gives a golden yellow tone and a little flavour.
🌱Nutritional Yeast: adds a subtle savoury depth of flavour needed to round out the flavour profile.
💚3 Flavour Variations:
Of course you can always make your own flavours up, but these are ones I like best.
🌱 Classic Vegan 'Egg and Cress' - Simply snip some cress and add a very generous grind of black pepper. The cress I like is the one you can grow yourself from little seeds (like you did as a child!). It has a subtle fresh peppery flavour that is perfect with the Vegan Egg Salad.
🌱 Vegan 'Curried' Egg Salad - Add a teaspoon of mild curry powder or garam masala. Pair with some crunchy lettuce and a little mango chutney. The flavours are a little retro, but they really work!
🌱 Vegan 'Wasabi' Egg Salad. Wasabi powder (or paste) and a tiny dash of soy sauce send the egg salad into a more Japanese 'Sando' direction. I love this with some crunchy radishes and watercress. A really refreshing twist on the classic!
👩🍳Easy Step by Step Instructions
FAQ for Tofu Egg Salad Sandwiches.
Firm tofu is best as it mimics the mouth feel of egg.
For this recipe you do not need to press the tofu as you are crumbling it up small. Simply pat it dry.
This is a naturally occurring salt that has some sulphorous compounds in it. This gives the characteristic 'eggy' taste. Use very sparingly as it is quite strong!
Now it's over to you to make your delicious vegan Tofu Egg Salad Sandwiches! Are you going to go traditional and make Vegan Egg And Cress Sandwiches? Or are you going to make the Curried Vegan Egg Sandwiches? Or maybe the yummy Japanese Sando inspired ones that are spiked with wasabi?
These yummy sandwiches would be great as part of a vegan 'Afternoon Tea' or High Tea?
Here are some suggestions of other recipes you might like to with them for afternoon tea or to take on a picnic..
Vegan 'Egg' Salad Tofu Sandwiches- 3 ways!
Basic Vegan Egg Salad Sandwiches.
- 250 g tofu firm
- 2 tbsp vegan mayonaisse
- ¼ tsp kala namak/black salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 12 slices bread Choose the bread you love!
Classic Vegan Egg and Cress
- ½ tso black pepper
- 3 tbsp fresh cress
Curried Vegan 'Egg'
- 1 tsp mild curry powder
- 1 tbsp mango chutney
- 2-3 leaves cos lettuce
'Sando' Wasabi Egg Salad
- ½ tsp wasabi paste or powder add more if you like a good kick!
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- 5 radishes
- handful watercress
For the Gasic Vegan Egg 'Tofu' Salad filling.
- Pat the firm tofu dry.
- Crumble the tofu into small chunks
- Add the black salt (kala namek), turmeric and vegan mayo and mix to combine. Add more ordinary salt to taste.
For the Classic Vegan Egg & Cress.
- To the basic recipe above, add a big grind of black pepper.
- Assemble the sandwiches with lots of cut fresh cress and a generous layer of the tofu egg salad between two slices of bread.
For the Curried Vegan 'Egg' Sandwich
- Add a teaspoon of curry powder or garam masala to the basic vegan egg salad mix.
- Assemble the sandwiches with a few pieces of lettuce, a smear of the mango chutney and a generous layer of the curried vegan 'egg' tofu between two slices of bread.
For the 'Sando' Wasabi Egg Salad sandwich.
- To the basic recipe add ½ teaspoon (or more!) of wasabi and the soy sauce. Mix well.
- Assemble the sandwiches with sliced radish, a generous layer of the wasabi spiked 'egg' tofu and watercress between two slices of bread.