Vegan Yellow Split Pea and 'Ham' Soup
A vegan version of the classic Pea & Ham Soup. As wholesome, warming & comforting as the original, but much more kind!
Servings: 6 Hungry People
For the Soup
- 500 g yellow split peas (NB: If you use whole yellow peas, be sure to soak & pre-cook them!)
- 125 g smoked tofu (half a pack, you'll use the rest later!) I love Taifun brand the best
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 sticks (stalks) celery
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 large white onion
- 2 Tbsp vegetarian bouillon (or 1 stock cube) dissolved in 1 litre water or 1 litres good veggie stock
- 3 fresh or dried bay leaves
- 3 drops liquid smoke TOTALLY optional, but adds a little extra smokey flavour
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- You might need more water!
For the Tofu Croutons
- 125 g smoked tofu The other half of the packet used in the soup recipe
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
For the Soup
Very finely chop the carrot, celery & onion.
Then tip into a large pot with the olive oil & cook on a medium heat until the onion is translucent.
Add the split peas, stock (or bouillon and water) and the bay leaves.
Finely chop the tofu and add to the soup.
Simmer for 45 minutes. Add extra water if needed.
Once the peas are super soft & dissolving taste and if you feel like it, add a few drops of liquid smoke.
Let the soup cool for a bit, then ladle into a blender ( you can blend it all up for a smooth soup, or just blend ¾ for a slightly chunky soup.
Add the blended soup back into the soup saucepan and heat up as needed!
For the Smokey Croutons
Finely chop the tofu.
In a little pan, fry off the tofu in a little olive oil, add a dash of soy sauce for an extra salty kick.
Serve the soup in big bowls with a sprinkle of croutons & some crusty bread.
Calories: 396kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 925mg | Potassium: 923mg | Fiber: 23g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 3524IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 111mg | Iron: 4mg