Caramelised Mustard Roasted Parsnips and Chestnuts
These Caramelised Mustard Roasted Parsnips and Chestnuts are the perfect Christmas side dish. The sugar gives a sticky glaze, and the mustard contrasts brilliantly with the parsnips and chestnuts.
- 5 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped in battons
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 5 garlic cloves (still in their skin)
- Handful of cooked chestnuts
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme (use dry if no fresh)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Pre-heat oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas Mark 6.
Par-boil the parsnips - place in boiling water for about 5 minutes to allow them to soften a little. Then drain.
Put all the ingredients, including the parsnips, in a baking tray and mix thoroughly, making sure the parsnips are fully covered with all the ingredients.
Roast for around 45 minutes, tossing occasionally, or until the edges of the parsnips have browned and they are a bit sticky from the sugar.
Calories: 207kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 117mg | Potassium: 752mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 1mg