Chickpea, Potato & Red Pepper Summer Stew with Basil Pesto
A simple chickpea stew that is perfect for summer days as well as cozy winter nights
For the Chickpea Stew
- 250 g Cooked Chickpeas (Eg 1 tin drained) (1.5 cups)
- 500 g Waxy or new potatoes (about 4-5 large potatoes)
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 400 ml Tomato Passata or 1 tin chopped tomatoes or 500g fresh tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp oregano fresh or dried
- 75 ml white wine or water
- 200 ml veggie stock can use 1 tsp veggie boillion or a veggie stock cube in water.
- salt & pepper to taste
For the Pesto
- 150 g fresh basil a big handful!
- 1 clove garlic
- 50 g pine nuts or walnuts
- 30 g nutritional yeast
- 50 ml olive oil
- salt to taste
For the Chickpea, Tomato & Potato Stew
De-seed and dice the peppers, peel & chop the potatos into 2-3 cm cubes. Dice the onion and mince the garlic.
Sautee the onion in the pan with the olive oil for a few minutes, until translucent.
Add the peppers and garlic and sautee for another minute or two.
Add the chickpeas, potatoes, as well as the stock, wine and tomatoes.
Add the oregano & season
Simmer for about half hour- 45 minutes until the potatoes are soft. The longer and slower the simmer, the more delicious it will be.
For the Basil Pesto
Toast the nuts
In a Mortar & Pestle, bash the nuts & garlic into fine chunks
Add the basil, bashing some more
Add the nutritional yeast & olive oil. Season and bash until it is a lovely pesto.
Alternatively, put everything into a food processor & whizz together.
Calories: 584kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 354mg | Potassium: 1670mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 3339IU | Vitamin C: 139mg | Calcium: 203mg | Iron: 8mg