Healthy Vegan Asparagus Soup Without Cream
A delicious asparagus soup that's full of spring flavours, for when spring hasn't got the hang of being warm yet! It has added butter beans for extra protein.
For the stock (optional)
- Handful leek tops
- All the the woody asparagus ends
- A few parsley stalks
- 1 10x 5 cm piece kombu
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- water to cover
- carrot, onion, parsnip & other veggie trimmings if you have them
For the Soup
- 200 g asparagus 1 bunch/15 stalks
- 200 g leek finely chopped, about 1 medium leek
- 250 g cooked butter beans equivalent of 1 standard tin/can
- 4 sprigs thyme 1 tsp
- 120 ml vegan white wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for sauteeing, can also use water
- 500 ml vegetable stock make your own - see recipe above - or use good quality boullion powder
To make the stock
Add all the stock ingredients into a large pot. Cover with water and bring to the boil. Simmer for half an hour to 1 hour (depending on how much time you have!).
Drain and keep the liquid. *Warning- be sure to drain into another large pot. Not down the sink.
To make the soup
Finely chop the asparagus stalks reserving the asparagus spear tops. Chop the leek finely too.
In a large saucepan gently sautee the leek in the oil or water.
Add the asparagus stalks, the wine, the butterbeans, the thyme and the stock.
Simmer for around 10 mins until all the veggies are soft.
Squish the butterbeans around the pot with a potato masher and taste. Adjust the seasoning as needed.
Add the asparagus spear tops in, and simmer for another 3 minutes so they are just cooked but still green.
Serve with crusty bread or on it's own, making sure each person has a fair share of the asparagus tops.
Calories: 178kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 514mg | Potassium: 551mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1531IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 4mg