The Best Vegan Chocolate, Date and Banana Bread
Delicious moist vegan banana bread with addition of chocolate and dates for that sweet and dark chocolate bitter contrast! Perfect with your cup of tea or coffee
- 4 medium ripe bananas (mash up 3 of them and reserve one whole for topping)
- 3 linseed / flaxseed eggs (each linseed / flaxseed egg is 1 tbsp milled linseed mixed with 3 tbsp water)
- 85 ml sunflower oil (⅓ cup) (or 80g coconut oil, melted)
- 120 g plain vegan yoghurt (½ cup)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 230 g wholemeal plain flour (2 cups)
- 30 g brown sugar / coconut palm sugar (double or even triple if you want it sweeter) (¼ cup)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 75 g chopped dates (½ cup)
- 150 g chopped vegan dark chocolate (1 cup)
Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
In one bowl mix up all the wet ingredients (mashed bananas, linseed / flaxseed eggs, oil, vanilla extract and yoghurt). Mix well.
Add to the mixture the flour, sugar, sea salt, baking powder. Give it it a good mix so the ingredients are combined.
Then add the chopped chocolate and dates, and stir in.
Grease and line a loaf tin (it will also work in a regular cake tin), and add the mixture to it. Slice the remaining banana in half length ways and place on top of the mixture in the tin.
Bake in the oven for an hour, or until a skewer comes out clean.
Enjoy with tea or coffee, and possibly spread with some nut butter!
Calories: 262kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 243mg | Potassium: 278mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 30IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 2mg