Squee!!! This year I've *actually* managed to grow two teeeny little cauliflowers without the monster Wood Pigeons or Mahooosive slugs eating them. The secret? Well, I netted the cauli patch, which helped with the pigeons, and I've had a relentless relocation scheme for the slugs & snails. They get sent on holiday across the road to the forest which seems to help.
I also have finally had a few of my tomatoes finally ripen. Yippee! The rest are coming along nicely.. a week or two should do it, but in the meantime, to celebrate my precious harvest, I wanted to make something really delicious.
And easy. Delicious and Easy.. Oh. And spicy. It had to have lots of spices.
Don't be scared of the amount of ingredients in this recipe, it's mostly just spices and all you need to do is just chuck them into the tray, mix them up and pop in the oven. Feel free to sub in other spices. Go crazy. This type of cooking is meant to be easy.
Do make the sauce too if you have tahini on hand. It's very easy and quite addictive. I've been known to eat it by the spoonful.
The best bit? It tastes like you've slaved over it & looks beautiful, but is super simple to make.
Spicy Cauliflower, Potato & Tomato Tray Bake
- 10-15 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 small Red Onion
- 10-15 New Potatoes halved
- 3 Tbs Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tbs Cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 Tbs Turmeric
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 3 Tbs tahini
- Juice ½ Lemon
- Pinch salt
- A little warm water
- Trim the outer leaves from a cauliflower , keeping the nicest inner ones to add to the bake
- Slice the cauliflower into large ' steaks' around 2cm thick
- On a baking tray arrange the cauli steaks, tomatoes, baby potatoes, onion and the cauliflower leaves
- Sprinkle over all the spices and the olive oil, mixing and rubbing them into the veggies
- Place in an oven that has been pre-heated to 200C/ Gas Mark 6
- Cook for around 30 mins or until golden and starting to caramelise around the edges. Cooking times will vary according how to thickly you cut the veggies and your oven. Check on them half way through!
- Whilst the veggies are cooking whisk together all the tahini sauce ingredients with a fork. It will go a bit lumpy but add a little water bit by bit and keep whisking & suddenly it will become a smooth sauce. Add more water until it's like custard.
- Pile a plate high with a selection of the veggies and drizzle the tahini sauce over. Have extra tahini sauce on the table so that everyone can add more as they need it.