You're going to love these Bottom of the Fridge Vegan Vegetable Fritters!
We're trying to reduce our waste & ensure that no food gets thrown out, especially during this Covid-19 epidemic. Staying at home rather than venturing out to the shops when you've forgotten one thing is obviously the way to go. So we're getting creative and coming up with ways of using up the odds and ends that hang around our fridge.
You can use pretty much any hard-ish vegetable in these. I used a carrot, some spring onions, a courgette & a green pepper in mine, but you could use cabbage, sweet corn, cauliflower, peas, broccoli or anything you have that needs to be used up. Potatoes or sweet potatoes would be yummy too!
The key is to grate any large veggies, or chop them into tiny pieces. Sweet corn kernals or peas can be used as is. You can get creative with the herbs or spices you use too. I like to use fresh herbs when I have them, however when I was making these, I didn't have any available, so just used some oregano & thyme.
I made a lovely and simple tomato compote to serve with the vegetable fritters, which I made with some old cherry tomatoes I had lying around, some capers & olives. But you can just serve these vegan vegetable fritters up with some chilli sauce or vegan mayo (my easy recipe for mayo using leftover chickpea water is perfect for this!)
The vegetable fritters are bound with a simple blend of flour & ground linseed. You can also use ground chia seeds which will do the same job. You simply mix together the ground linseed and water, then use that as you would use an egg in a non vegan fritter.
So, go to your fridge, root around in your veggie drawer & see what it provides, and make a batch of Bottom of the Fridge Vegetable Fritters! Make sure to let us know what interesting combinations you come up with!
Vegan Vegetable Fritters
- 450 g Mixed vegetables (you can use courgette, peas, leeks, )
- 2 Tbs chopped fresh parsley (OR thyme, oregano or other herbs )
- ½ teaspoon tabasco or other chilli sauce ((to taste))
- pinch salt
- scant ½ cup plain flour
- 3 Tbs ground flax seeds mixed with ⅓ cup water.
- 2-3 Tbs rapeseed (, olive or sunflowerseed oil.)
- Grate the vegetables or cut them into small pieces.
- In a bowl, combine all the veggies with the herbs & chilli sauce & salt & mix to combine.
- Sprinkle the flour over & mix again.
- Add the flax seed mix bit by bit and stir very well until a thick batter forms. Add a little extra water, or flour as needed to make the mix cohesive.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then dollop in big tablespoon fulls. I like to do 5 or so at a time.
- Once a bit of a crust has formed, squish with a spatula & cook a bit longer.
- Flip & cook on the other side.
- Drain on paper towels & cook the next batch.
- Eat while warm.. Squabble over the last one!