Would you like the recipe for Lemony Orzo Pasta with Roasted Veggies immediately? Click that button above then. We don't mind *sob* (Why don't you love our little stories???)
(Oh you do love us!! read on..)
The weather here is finally heating up, bringing thoughts of lazy summer days where the only thing you want to eat is maybe a light salad, or a BBQ vegan burger. Or maybe a picnic or light lunch outside.
Whatever type of summer eating you're thinking of, a super simple and delicious pasta dish that’s great for serving up as a hot main, or serving at room temperature as part of a picnic is a great dish to have up your sleeve.
Now, you might think that I'm mad, suggesting to turn on the oven. Maybe I am. You could always BBQ the veggies I suppose (Actually, that would be quite delicious). Anyway- I cut the veggies up quite small so they roasted really quickly, which also ensures that they work together nicely with the pasta.
This super simple pasta dish is made light and zingy with lemon juice and zest, perfect for sunny eating. Best of all, the Orzo pasta works just as well cold (well, room temperature) so you can make a big batch, eat it for supper, then take it to work the next day. Result. (Can I suggest making the time to eat this outside? It tastes all the better for it!)
Lemony Orzo Pasta with Roasted Veggies
For accuracy, I measure all ingredients in metric as standard, then convert and test the recipe for American cup measurements etc.
(Heads up Aussie and UK readers- your measurements in cups are sometimes different, so please use metric or check you have the correct cup and spoon type!!)
For the Pasta
- 200 g orzo pasta
- Juice & zest 1 lemon
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- Salt to taste
For the roasted veggies
- 1 large aubergine
- 1 courgette
- 2 long pointy peppers
- 15-20 cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Parsley and or chives to serve
- Preheat your oven to 220C
- Chop all the veggies into 1 cm cubes/pieces
- In a large roasting dish, add the aubergine and olive oil, mix and put in the oven for 8mins, stirring once
- Add all the other veggies to the dish, mix around so they are coated in the oil, add the oregano & salt & pepper. and continue to roast until soft and the tomatoes are blackened a bit on the edges. About 15 mins
- Meanwhile, boil the water for the pasta
- Cook according to instructions and drain
- Toss with the olive oil, lemon zest and juice
- Add some of the roast veggies & toss
- Serve with more roast veggies on top and lots of fresh green herbs.