Is there anything more comforting than pillowy mashed potatoes smothering a juicy layer of tomatoey mince? It's always even better with a crunchy topping and always with a serving of greens on the side. This utterly delicious Vegan Shepherdess Pie is just what you need when it's cold outside & you need something warming & comforting!
Why have we called it Shepherdess pie? Well, traditionally it's a vegetarian version of a Shepherds pie (which is usually made with lamb). We like to imagine a lovely shepherdess looking after her flock & making a delicious pie with lentils, or even beans & mushrooms- just like we do!
We love serving our Shepherdess Pie on a cold night, or after a frosty long walk out in the forest. And we love this vegan version of Shepherd's pie all the more because the scrummy mince layer underneath is made from our fave bolognese sauce made with this recipe, which means if we have a batch ready made in the freezer, this thrifty meal comes together really quickly.
Now, you'll probably want to know how to make the mash so creamy and delicious without any dairy.. Well, it's simple. We use some rapeseed oil, and add a little plant milk. The addition of mustard with some nutritional yeast adds a yummy cheesy tang and some breadcrumbs finish off this most comforting of meals.
If you're feeling fancy & want to make these looking more impressive than the effort you've put in, you can cook these in individual ramekins. Dinky.. and cute!
Make this yummy winter warming Vegan Shepherdess pie & share it with your family & friends for a truly comforting hug of a dish.
Vegan Shepherdess Pie
For the Lentil Bolognese:
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 large onion very finely chopped
- 1 large carrot very finely chopped
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 500 g cooked puy or green lentils Tinned or pre-packed is fine.
- ⅓ cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Marmite or Vegemite Or other yeast extract
For the Mash Topping:
- 6 medium potatoes
- 3- 4 Tbs plant milk
- 2 Tbs rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 Tbs Mustard
- 1 Tbs Nutritional Yeast
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Make the lentil bolognese : (or thaw from frozen if you have been organised & made it ahead!)
- In a large pan sautee the onions, garlic (if using) & carrot in the olive oil until soft.
- Add the tomato paste and stir until combined.
- Add the lentils, herbs, wine, tin of tomatoes, Marmite or Vegemite plus any other optional extras and simmer for around 20 mins.
For the mash:
- Peel and halve the potatoes and put into a pot & cover in cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer until tender.
- Drain and mash the potatoes together with the oil, plant milk, nutritional yeast & mustard.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Layer the bolognese in an oven proof dish.
- Gently lay the mash over, covering the bolognese.
- Sprinkle over some breadcrumbs and extra nutritional yeast if wanted..
- Bake in a moderate oven (Gas Mark 6/210C ) for around 20mins until the top is crispy.
- Serve with some greens!