Simple & speedy, these yummy Easy Vegan Chickpea Flour flatbreads are made from a mix of chickpea & plain flour. Perfect for mopping up juices & dunking into soups...
What do you do when you've made delicious warming soup or a chunky veggie stew but have forgotten to buy or make some crusty bread? And you're SO hungry that just some soup won't fill the hole!?! You make some quick & easy, yummy flatbreads like these, that's what you do!
These quick to make flatbreads are the perfect thing for scooping up soup, curries, stews or dips.
Chickpea flour: also called besan or gram flour. Why have I included it in this recipe ? Because it tastes DELICIOUS! It also gives a lovely texture that is perfect for scooping.
Chickpeas are also a good source of protein & fibre, which we know are always good things to add to your diet
Plain flour: also known as all purpose flour. You could use spelt or wholemeal flour too. This recipe also works well with gluten free flour as substitute for plain-flour.
Olive Oil: Adds a delicious flavour and helps the texture of the flatbreads
Salt: I like to used flakey sea salt. Season to taste.
Other Flavourings: You can add nigella (kalonji) or sesame seeds just before cooking. Or leave the flatbreads plain.
👩🍳Easy Step by Step instructions
These easy flatbreads come together really quickly, just mix, leave stand for a few minutes then form into balls, then flatten & fry in a pan with just the teeniest smidge of oil.
🍲What to eat with the flatbreads
These delicious and easy to make flatbreads are PERFECT for eating with some of our favourite soups and stews..
and soups that are kind of more of a stew like my chickpea & tomato stoup (recipe here..)..
Last, but definitely not least, more often than anything else, my legendary lentil soup. (see image below for how delicious it is with the flatbreads!)
Let us know in the comments what you think of these easy chickpea flour flatbreads and what you have served them with!
Easy Vegan Chickpea Flour Flatbreads.
- ⅔ cup flour (OR 80g *You can use gluten-free flour here. )
- ⅓ cup chickpea flour (also known as gram or besan flour) (OR 35g)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- scant ¼ cup warm water
- pinch salt
- 1 Tbs Nigella (Kalonji) seeds (Optional)
- Mix the flours & salt together
- Make a well in the middle of the flours and very slowly add water & mix. Keep adding water & mixing until a soft dough forms
- Kneed the dough a little, add in ½ the oil, then kneed more, adding extra water or flour as needed until the dough is pliable and does not stick to your hands.
- Let the dough rest for 10 - 15 minutes
- To cook: Heat a frying pan
- Make golf ball sized balls from the dough, then flatten out into discs using a rolling pin, or even just your hands- pizzeria style!
- Push the Nigella/Kalonji seeds into the dough if using.
- Add a teeeeeny bit of oil to your frying pan & put the flattened disc of dough onto the pan.
- Cook until the dough starts to lift & bubble a bit & flip. Cook for a few more minutes
- Keep warm on a plate and cook the rest of the dough as before.