This simple Lentil & Tomato Soup owes a lot to my Mother's legendary soup, which she used to make for us on bleak, cold winter nights in Sydney. They do happen!! Or at least they feel cold in comparison to most other weather conditions there.
Her recipe came from an early 80's edition of the Diet for a Small Planet cookbook, and was called Lentils Monastery style. I read that book pretty much cover to cover once I decided I didn't like the idea of eating meat. The book put into words what I was thinking, even as a teen in the early 90's..that there is another way to eat, that we didn't have to be cruel to eat deliciously & well, and that what we eat can positively or negatively affect everyone's future.
But that's not why I loved Mum's soup so much, I loved the bite and slight meatiness of the lentils, the fragant herbs and the richness of the tomato & how all the flavours came together and perfectly balanced to create a delicious, warming soup. Simply served with a hunk of bread it's a whole meal in itself.
This soup isn't exactly the same as the original, but it owes much to it.
Green or Puy Lentils: You could also use those little brown lentils. I love the pepperyness of the Puy lentils the best though!
Tomato Pasata: Simple and easy to find in bottles or tetra packs. I've also used crushed tinned tomatoes which work just as well.
Vegetable Boullion/Stock: A good stock makes a soup sing. If you don't have any that you have made yourself, use a good quality powdered one (we like Marigold best)
Carrots & Onions: Both these add sweetness and depth of flavour. So yummy for chilly days!
FAQ for the Lentil Tomato Soup
Yes absolutely! I frequently make a huge batch (triple) and freeze in one or two person portions. Perfect for a quick lunch or dinner.
Yes you can. Just reduce the cooking time a bit.
This soup is so easy because all it requires is some chopping. No need for a blender.
👩🍳Handy Step by Step Guide
Sides and Similar Soup Recipes
Simple flatbreads to dunk in the soup!
Similer Soups and Stews you might also like
So here it is.. My take on the Diet for a Small Planet's Lentil's Monastery style.. . as introduced to me by my Mother
( Thanks Mum!)
Star & share this soup recipe and let us know in the comments below if you have made this soup & loved it !
Lentil and Tomato Soup
- 1 medium onion , finely chopped
- 2 carrots , finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 250 g dried puy or green lentils (1 ¼ cups)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp thyme dried or fresh
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 400 ml tomato passata 1 ⅔ Cups (or one standard tin)
- 120 ml red wine ½ cup
- 2 small mild chillis- deseeded OPTIONAL
- 1 tspn mild chilli powder OPTIONAL
- 1 tbsp marigold stock powder
- 800 ml water 3 ⅓ cups
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- fresh chopped parsley- to serve.
- Sweat the garlic & onions in the oil in a large, heavy saucepan.
- Add the chopped chilli, tomato paste & carrots & cook for 5 minutes or so, until soft.
- Add the tomato pasata, and all the herbs & chilli powder and stir.
- Add in the lentils, the stock powder, the water & the wine.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to a slight simmer.
- Cook until the lentils are tender- around half an hour.
- Taste & adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parsley & some crusty bread.