This delicious Harissa Roasted Chickpea & Tomato Salad was first published waaaaay back in May 2015. I recently made it again, and you know what.. I have NO idea why I've waited SO long to make it another time. It's BANGING. Which is what you want from a salad.
Heads up! This post contains affiliate links, so we'll earn a little commission from qualifying purchases. This keeps us creating vegelicious content 🙂
This yummy recipe happened because I wanted an addition to a carby delicious new potato & grilled asparagus dish, that I was really wanting to make, but knew there really wasn't much in the cupboard.
Fortunately I always and I mean ALWAYS have tins of chickpeas in the house. There are a few ingredients that make me twitchy if I don't have them in, and this is one of them. They're so versatile, and a brilliantly easy protein addition to loads of dishes.
And as I walked up the hill home from the tube I suddenly remembered I had made some harissa from my home-grown Locoto chillies, that was still sitting preserved under a layer of oil in the fridge. So a quick stop via the local mini supermarket to pick up some rocket and this was born. Sadly, our own salad leaves are suffering from a slug invasion... Nightmare! Replanting starts this Saturday, and we'll be stepping up our slug prevention program.
This is a really easy dish to throw together simply half the tomatoes, toss them & the chickpeas in harissa, oil & lemon juice & bake in a moderate oven, whilst you get on with whatever else you're making.
And best of all? If you keep the Chickpeas/Tomato mix away from tender leaves, this salad is even better the next day. Perfect for tossing together for a picnic, or taking to a BBQ.
I can guarantee you that this little ad-hoc salad I made up on the spur of the moment, will be on high repeat for the whole summer.. and beyond.
(P.S. I haven't made Harissa since I first wrote up this recipe, instead I tend to get Rose Harissa from the Belazu brand from the supermarket or Amazon) (affiliate link)
Harissa Roasted Chickpea and Tomato Salad
For accuracy, I measure all ingredients in metric as standard, then convert and test the recipe for American cup measurements etc.
(Heads up Aussie and UK readers- your measurements in cups are sometimes different, so please use metric or check you have the correct cup and spoon type!!)
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 2 teaspoon harissa ((or more if you are brave! Either use my recipe, or buy it in jars))
- 20 cherry tomatoes (, halved.)
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs lemon juice plus a bit extra to squeeze over later
- 5-6 sprig fresh thyme (, or a teaspoon dried)
- 100 g Rocket or other leaves such as watercress or baby spinach- approx a handful per person
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/ 200C
- Rinse the chickpeas
- Chop the tomatoes in half
- Whisk together the oil, lemon juice & harissa
- Put everything except the rocket/salad leaves into an oven dish and swish around so it's all covered in the harissa oil dressing, making sure everything is in a single layer
- Pop in the oven, turning at around 15 mins
- Remove from the oven when the tomatoes are de-hydrated & the chickpeas have started to crisp but are still tender in the middle.
- Leave to cool for 5-10 mins
- Lay out a dish with the salad leaves & squeeze some lemon over.
- Pop the chickpea & tomato mix over the top & serve.