I think this Beetroot, Butternut Squash and Chickpea salad has the distinction of being the oldest recipe on the blog! I first wrote it up back in April 2015! Wow!
And just like any classic, this easy to make recipe is one we come back to, again and again!
This salad is a bit of a crowd pleaser. I've served various versions of this over the years- at parties and gatherings. And there is never ever any left over.
💚Why we love this
It's earthy, sweet & wholesome, with the rich red of the beetroot and the pretty burnished orange of the butternut squash creating a lovely colour palette. The chickpeas provide nutty, delicious ballast and protein. It's equally delicious with or without some vegan feta. I will say however, the pine nuts and loads of parsley are an absolute must.
I also love that everything is made bite sized, so with the lovely zingy dressing, you can have the perfect combo bite of beet, squash, chickpeas, parsley and pine nuts. Delicious.
⏲When to eat it
As the veg are roasted, it's quite nice as an Autumn, Winter or Early Spring. Also, Butternut Squash and Beetroot aren't usually at their best in the full heat of summer but it is great for any other season!
The salad keeps quite well in the fridge, so is perfect to make ahead for a week of lunches, or to take to a late Autumn BBQ or on a brisk early Spring picnic.
Roasted Cubes of Butternut Squash: Simply cut up a squash into bite sized pieces, toss in some olive oil & roast until caramelized.
Roasted Beetroot: to keep the beets lovely and juicy, roast them whole in their skin, then slip the skins off and chop. *Do this with washing up gloves on to avoid ending up with pink fingers!
Toasted Pine Nuts: I adore pine nuts (affiliate link). They make this salad totally luxe. However you could use toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds, or any other nut you love here instead.
LOADS of fresh flat parsley: Be generous with the parsley. Its lovely green flavour is the perfect foil for the sweetness of the squash and beetroot.
Home Made or Good Quality Tinned Chickpeas: Pre-cooked chickpeas that you have soaked and cooked yourself always have the best flavour. Otherwise buy good quality tinned or jarred chickpeas and rinse before adding to the salad.
Good Vegan "Feta": There are some great feta substitutes around now. Use a posh one such as our favourite from I Am Nut Ok. (not an affiliate link- we just like them!) The Violife feta alternative that is easily found in most supermarkets now is pretty delicious too. If you don't fancy feta, add some slices of green olives or capers for a 'zing'
This salad stays fresh and tasty for up to 5 days in the fridge.
To avoid your beets staining everything pink, make and toss the rest of the salad first. Then gently fold the beetroot pieces through it.
Absolutely. Either substitute them for some pumpkin seeds, or leave out altogether.
Beetroot, Butternut Squash and Chickpea Salad
- 1 Butternut Squash (Chopped into 2-3cm square chunks)
- 4 Medium-Large Beetroot
- 1 Bunch Flat Leaf Parsley
- 100 g pine nuts
- 1 tin/can Chickpeas ((or equivilent dried, soaked, cooked) (240g drained weight))
- 1 pack vegan feta ((optional))
- Juice of half a lemon
- Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Bake the beetroot in the oven in their skins for around 40 mins or until soft in the oven at 220°C / Gas Mark 7 / 430°F.
- At the same time, bake the chopped up butternut squash, in a little oil, seasoned with a bit of salt.
- Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts in a little pan- don't use any oil, and be careful- they catch easily.
- Chop the parsley finely.
- Once cooked, and a little cooler, peel the beetroot and chop into 1-2cm chunks.
- Rinse, and rinse again the chickpeas if they are tinned.
- Then, mix together all the ingredients.
- Taste for seasoning, then add more lemon/olive oil/ salt & pepper.