Everyone loves garlic bread right? These easy vegan garlic breads are super fun to make and come with not one, but 3 forms of garlic on them! Make these Easy Triple Garlic Butter Flatbreads to eat with soup, or for dipping into some hummus! The Black Garlic in them gives a special colour & and rich flavour that you will adore!
So, how have we managed to get 3(!) forms of garlic into these vegan garlic flatbreads?
1)The bulk of the garlic is a whole head of garlic, roasted with olive oil until buttery and delicious.
2) The second layer of garlic is black garlic. This slowly fermented form of regular garlic has a glorious depth of flavour and stickyness that is mellower than regular garlic.
3) And finally, we have a single clove of very finely chopped or grated fresh garlic, for that extra hot spike that makes garlic bread SO good!
Once you have all your garlics ready, just squish out the roasted garlic and mix them all together with some parsley and good quality olive oil. (You could also use vegan butter. Either work well) Then smother all over your bread! Yum!
You don't have to make the flatbreads if you don't want to. Any baguette or pita bread would do for making extra yummy vegan garlic bread! But if you do decide to go ahead and make these flatbreads you won't be disappointed. They're a doddle to make. Just mix ⅔ regular (plain) flour with ⅓ chickpea (gram) flour, a little water and some olive oil and leave to rest for 10-15 minutes.
Then heat your frying pan SUPER hot and roll out balls of the dough, flattening it with a rolling pin, before bunging it into your frying pan. It will char up after a minute or so, then flip to char the other side and you're done.
For a full length low-down on how to make these super easy flatbreads- follow this link (They're one of our fave recipes as is..!) Easy Vegan Chickpea Flour Flatbreads.
👩🍳Easy Step by Step Instructions
You can easily leave out the black garlic in this recipe. It tastes great both ways.
You can find it at specialist grocery stores or online. It also sometimes comes as a paste that is handy to spoon or squeeze out. Use around 2 tbsp of black garlic paste if you have that to hand.
You could spread the garlic butter onto a pita bread and grill it. Or make a classic but posh vegan garlic bread with a baguette. Just smush the garlic butter into slices and bake the baguetter until it is crispy and delicious. If you do this, you might need to add extra olive oil or butter
The garlic butter will store for up to a week in the fridge. You could also freeze it in a log, or in single portions by freezing it in an icecube tray then decanting the frozen portions into a freezer bag.
It tastes amazing swirled through pasta. You could also use it to dress simply roasted or steamed vegetables.
🍲What to serve with the flatbreads
These brilliant flatbreads are perfect to serve up with soups and stews! Or make some to serve alongside a mezze spread. Perfect for scooping up dips and hummus!
Easy Triple Garlic Flatbreads
- Frying Pan
For the Flatbreads
- ⅔ cup flour OR 80g
- ⅓ cup chickpea flour (also known as gram or besan flour) OR 35g
- 1 tsp olive oil
- scant ¼ cup warm water
- pinch salt
- 1 Tbs Nigella (Kalonji) seeds Optional
For the 3 Garlic Butter
- 2 heads garlic
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 cloves black garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil or vegan butter
- 2 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- pinch flakey sea salt to taste
For the flatbreads
- Mix the flours & salt together
- Make a well in the middle of the flours and very slowly add water & mix. Keep adding water & mixing until a soft dough forms
- Kneed the dough a little, add in ½ the oil, then kneed more, adding extra water or flour as needed until the dough is pliable and does not stick to your hands.
- Let the dough rest for 10 - 15 minutes
- To cook: Heat a frying pan
- Make golf ball sized balls from the dough, then flatten out into discs using a rolling pin, or even just your hands- pizzeria style!
- Push the Nigella/Kalonji seeds into the dough if using.
- Add a teeeeeny bit of oil to your frying pan & put the flattened disc of dough onto the pan.
- Cook until the dough starts to lift & bubble a bit & flip. Cook for a few more minutes
- Keep warm on a plate and cook the rest of the dough as before.
For the 3 Garlic Butter
- Chop the tops off the 2 heads of garlic, make a little wrapper out of aluminium foil and drizzle with olive oil.
- Put them in the oven at 200°C/Gas Mark 6/400°F for 20-25 minutes until the cloves are soft and squishy.
- Once they are cooled, squeeze out the yummy squishy garlic and mix with the finely chopped clove of fresh garlic and the 4 cloves of black garlic.
- Mix all the garlics together with either some olive oil, or some vegan butter (both work well!) and the parsley
- Spread the garlic butter/oil over the flatbreads while they are still warm.