Last week I asked our Insta followers if they would prefer me to make a Savoury or a Sweet pancake recipe for Pancake day, fully expecting that my lovely followers would choose savoury. (Mostly because last time I asked something similar, the salad was chosen over some cake!) Oh, how wrong I was. So instead, you are getting these rather delicious Vegan Tahini Buckwheat Pancakes with White Chocolate Sauce instead of the savoury spiced spinach pancakes I had in mind.
There's probably some kind of lesson to this, along the lines of never anticipating the data or something. In any case, the outcome has been unexpectedly delicious.
I don't have the biggest sweet tooth, Vanessa is generally the instigator of all things sweet on the blog, so these pancakes whilst sweet, aren't sickly, and I think all the nicer for it. In fact, if you left out the maple syrup in the pancake batter, these would make a stunning savoury pancake mix. I assure you this is something I will be trying soon!
I used buckwheat instead of regular flour, not because I wanted to make these gluten free (which they are, as buckwheat isn't actually a wheat, but a kind of seed) , but because I adore the nutty flavour of buckwheat in a pancake. The tahini used in both the pancake batter & in the sauce just adds to the lovely effect!
The sauce meanwhile is actually kinda genius - if I do say so myself! I combined tahini with white chocolate & plant milk to make a lush, just sweet enough but not too sweet sauce. Add lots of berries and stack the pancakes high for a delicious breakfast or brunch treat.
These pancakes are quite filling so while they taste indulgent, as they are packed with fibre, protein & minerals will actually fuel your day! Let us know if you make these scrummy Vegan Tahini Buckwheat Pancakes with White Chocolate Sauce!
Vegan Tahini Buckwheat Pancakes with White Chocolate Sauce
For the pancakes
For the White Chocolate Sauce
- 100 g vegan white chocolate in the UK you can buy it at Sainbury's supermarket quite easily
- 3 Tbs Tahini
- ½ cup plant milk
For the pancakes
- In a large bowl combine the buckwheat flour, salt, cream of tartar & bicarb soda.
- Add the maple syrup, plant milk & tahini and mix until you have a smooth batter. It will start bubbling up quite quickly due to the bicarb & cream of tartar.
- Add a tiny bit of oil to a non-stick frying pan and put it onto a medium heat on the hob.
- Pour a small amount of the batter out onto the frying pan. (You choose how big you want your pancakes!)
- When the batter bubbles, flip the pancake & cook on the other side.
- Repeat with all the other pancakes.
To make the sauce.
- Heat a small pan of water and put a larger heat proof bowl over it.
- Add into the heat proof bowl the chopped up white chocolate, tahini & plant milk.
- Wait until the chocolate starts to melt, then stir until you have a smooth sauce.
- Stack the pancakes with berries & pour over the white chocolate tahini sauce.