It's that weird time between Christmas & New Year. We don't know what day it is, lunch is for dinner and we've eaten a mash up of chocolate & mince pies for breakfast. We've eaten all the nut roasts & veggies but we still have left overs of weird bits of vegan cheese & oddments of wine or beer. This is where this brilliant recipe Vegan Welsh Rarebit comes in. It's delicious, uses up odds & ends and can be eaten at any time of day.
Welsh Rarebit is essentially poshed up cheese on toast. Traditionally made with a roux (white sauce) made with beer, it is cozy & satisfying but also super simple to make (and eat!)
Importantly for this time of year, this Vegan version of Welsh Rarebit is also a great way to feed several people who for some reason are snacky, but don't want 'much to eat'. It can also be easily adjusted to what you have in the fridge. Add a layer of chutney like we have. Or use up extra tangy mustard. Substitute the beer for white wine, or leave it out & just use plant milk.
Use up whatever left over bits of vegan cheese you have. Or if for some inexplicable reason you don't have any, just use loads of nutritional yeast. You'll still get that amazing comforting cheezy flavour! Yum.
This Vegan Welsh Rarebit is brilliant served up with some soup, or just to snack on after a bracing walk out in the cold. Or maybe pair it with some yummy tangy salad (this carrot salad is brilliant as an accompaniment at this time of year)
Vegan Welsh Rarebit
For accuracy, I measure all ingredients in metric as standard, then convert and test the recipe for American cup measurements etc.
(Heads up Aussie and UK readers- your measurements in cups are sometimes different, so please use metric or check you have the correct cup and spoon type!!)
- 4 slices good bread (I like to use a sourdough bread that has a bit of body as it stands up to the ooey gooey cheesiness.)
- 20 g plain flour
- 55 ml olive oil (3 Tbsp)
- 140 ml (140 ml) beer or white wine (1 cup)
- 140 ml plant milk (1 cup we like oat milk (NB: just use all plant milk if you like) )
- 80 g vegan cheese (grated. Use whatever you have around. Alternatively use 3 tablespoon nutritional yeast.)
- 1 tablespoon dijon or wholegrain mustard
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce (optional but yummy!)
- Chutney or more wholegrain mustard (optional) (optional but yummy!)
- In a small saucepan, gently warm the oil & whisk the flour in
- cook for a few seconds until the flour absorbs the oil and no longer smells 'floury'
- Slowly add the liquids (plant milk/beer/wine) whisking all the while to avoid lumps
- Once the liquid is incorporated the mixture should become quite thick.
- Add the cheeses & mustard if using.
- Toast both sides of the bread
- Spread a layer of chutney (if using) and a layer of the cheesy saucey stuff you have just made
- Put it all under the grill to heat up & become bubbly & golden. Sprinkle with a few drops of the vegan Worcestershire sauce if you like.
- Serve hot!