It's been a weird old time, hasn't it? All the staying in, the endless washing up. The constant cooking and having to eat your own food- AGAIN. (Good job I like cooking!! ). It's not like we actually used to go out very often to eat, unless properly out in town.
Every now and then we would go out to Pizza Express. Usually, after we'd been working in the garden all day & needed a break. It happens to have some really great vegan options, which as I live in a little village outside of London can be hard to find. Such as my favourite Baked Harissa Mushrooms.
Obviously, I also miss the actual Pizza, but you can still get frozen ones (we love One Planet Pizza for this) and have even once or twice made our own. But these Harissa Mushrooms are genius. And delicious. And it turns out it's super easy to make too!
Just some simple ingredients, Harissa, Large Portobello Mushrooms, some good meltable vegan cheese & some rocket to serve. Oh- and a sprinkle of pine nuts. The harissa & cheese combine with the mushroom for an ultra-delicious taste sensation that you'll love. This is the kind of dish that one day, when we're allowed to entertain again, would be a fabulous starter for a dinner party. Or be fab as a party canape if made with single bite-size mushrooms. (ahhh.. parties. Remember those?!)
I use Rose Harissa in my recipe. You can find Harissa in the spice section of any good supermarket. Once upon a time, we would have considered it a fancy ingredient, but it's really easy to find now. There are usually several different brands available, and even green harissa, so just choose the one that takes your fancy!
This yummy Baked Harissa Mushroom recipe is so super simple, you can do it in minutes. Then simply roast, and serve. It's nearly as good as going out and someone else making it for you.
Baked Harissa Mushrooms
- 2 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp Harissa I like Rose Harissa, but use whatever you like
- 50 g grated vegan cheese
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts
- 2 handfuls rocket aka arugula
- Put your oven on to heat to Gas Mark 6/ 220C
- Use a little olive oil & lightly grease an oven tray
- Put the mushrooms gill side up on the tray
- Smear a tablespoon of Harissa all over the top of the mushrooms
- Sprinkle over the cheese, then add some pine nuts.
- Bake in the oven for around 10-15 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked & the cheese melted
- Place some rocket on a plate & serve the mushrooms on top, sprinkling over a bit more olive oil.