One of my very first recipes was for Stuffed Mushrooms, way back in October 2014, and since then they've been a consistent and much loved recipe in our household.
The Gardener loves them as much as I do. I always know when a recipe has been a hit with him, because the ingredients will magically appear in our weekly shopping, as a little hint to me to maybe please can you make that again. And the first time I made stuffed Portabello Mushrooms for him, that is exactly what happened.
The original recipe I made had cheese in it, and I wanted to keep that deeply savoury note, but with none of the cruelty. After a bit of experimenting, (some better than others!) I've come up with a stuffing that is just as deliciously savoury, but completely vegan. The recipe retains the original breadcrumbs- but if you really do have an allergy, by all means substitute them with some rice or quinoa.
I make these with large portobello mushrooms, 10 - 15 cm diameter, but these would be equally delicious made with with smaller baby portobello mushrooms, approx 4- 6 cm diameter for canapes. Just bake for a slightly shorter time. I also use my own pesto in this recipe. Generally when making pesto, I make LOADS, then freeze excess in ice cube trays, decanting the frozen cubes into freezer bags to use later for fresh tasting yet convenient pesto. So much nicer than bottled stuff!
I love to serve the stuffed mushrooms with some wilted spinach & maybe some salad, or roasted potatoes in a spicy coating. (see my Spicey Spanish ish Potatoes recipe for my fave!)
- 2 Large Portabello Mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic , finely chopped
- ½ fresh chilli (optional)
- 2 Tbs Vegan Pesto (I use my own awesome homemade one, but use whatever you like)
- 3 Tbs Pine Nuts
- 1 small Red pointy pepper , finely chopped
- ½ cup (ish) breadcrumbs (I like Panko Breadcrumbs the best)
- 2 Tbs white wine (optional)
- 1 Tbs Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tsp Olive Oil + extra to grease the mushrooms and baking tin
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cut the stems off the mushrooms & finely dice.
- Preheat the oven to 210C/ Gas Mark 7
- Gently sautee the mushroom stems, pepper, garlic & chilli in the olive oil.
- Remove from heat and stir in all other ingredients except the mushrooms
- Slick the mushrooms all over with some olive oil & lay on a baking tray.
- Divide the mix in half and generously fill the mushrooms, mounding the stuffing into a dome & packing it in quite firmly.
- Place the stuffed mushrooms in the oven and cook for around 20 mins, or until crispy topped.
- Serve with salad in summer, or sauteed veggies in winter.