These easy Oven Baked Patatas Bravas are an addictive & tasty tray baked potato dish that we make over and over, whether we are having a tapas night or not!
The delicious smokey, slightly spicy patatas bravas flavour that we all love to eat in every tapas place you have ever tried is here, however instead of frying, I coat the potato chunks in a mix of smoked paprika, mild chilli and olive oil before baking them until crunchy & crispy on the outside & soft & fluffy in the interior.
This oven baked patatas bravas recipe is so simple to make, and can be customised with other herbs or spices, according to what you love!
I've been known to throw in whole garlic cloves to the pan whilst roasting, and often ad-lib with extra dried herbs for a pretty zing. The best bit is, that like most tray bakes, you can get on with whatever else you're cooking and just stir it about a bit half way through.
Be sure to use a good quality smoked paprika, it makes the world of difference to the flavour! I use a sweet Spanish one like this (affiliate link) and add in my own chilli for heat, but you can also get a hot spiced paprika and use that instead.
👩🍳Handy How To Instructions
I use a sweet Spanish one like La Chinata this (affiliate link) But you can also use the spicy type.
You can just use some vegan mayo mixed with garlic. Or even buy some pre-made vegan alioli (this one is yummy -affiliate link)
A floury or all-purpose potato works perfectly to make the crunchy outside and fluffy inside. Try Maris Piper, King Edward or Desiree
To make these oven baked Patatas Bravas even more authentically Spanish I like serving it with a good dollop of vegan Alioli. I use my basic Aquafaba mayo recipe & increase the garlic even more to get that gorgeously garlicky flavour. Alternatively, I like to drizzle over a Tahini, garlic, and lemon sauce.
I'd like to say that I just serve this as a side or as part of a tapas spread, but, truth is, often we just scarf these smokey, paprika spiked potatoes on their own with a glass of wine.
But if you want to make some tapas to go with them, why not try these recipes:
Note: These oven-baked Patatas Bravas are excellent the next day, so allow for at least two medium potatoes per person!
Easy Oven Baked Patatas Bravas
- 4 Medium Potatoes (, cut into 2-3 cm cubes.)
- 2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- Flaky Sea Salt to taste
OPTIONAL but delicious
- 1 teaspoon medium chilli powder (add as much or as little as you like, depending on your heat tolerance.)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or oregano
- whole cloves garlic
- Tabasco or other chilli sauce.
- Dice the potatoes. I like to leave the skin on.
- On a baking tray, lay the potatoes out in a layer
- Slick with the oil, then sprinkle over the paprika, herbs and chilli sauce if using.
- Mix around so the potatoes are evenly covered
- Bake in the oven for 10 mins at Gas Mark 7 / 220C
- Turn & return to the oven for another 10 mins.
- Check if crispy, if not, turn the oven up a bit and crispify a bit more.
- Add the alioli or tahini sauce of your choice and eat.