Perfect Vegan Garlic Greens; this is the side dish that you didn't know you needed! (actually- maybe you do know it and make it all the time already- if you do- please share your tips here in the comments!)
Why do you need this dish? Well, because it's super easy to make and goes alongside almost any kind of main, that's why!
Why is is perfect? Well, you can use pretty much any green leafy veg, it's easy to make, and it's delicious! I photographed this with a lovely green cabbage, but you could use kale, broccoli, chard, spring greens, or even (whisper it) brussel sprouts.
Even better, you don't need many ingredients. Just some glorious fresh green veggies, some garlic, some chilli, oil & heat. Oh- and a large frying pan/wok with a lid.
You can serve this dish pretty much any time of year, however it really comes into it's own as the nights lengthen and the days get cold. Serve with some stew, serve with a roast dinner, serve as part of a holiday feast, or a quick supper after work with some easy -cheaty vegan sausages & mash.
You can even serve it with pasta (what!!)- Stay with me- boil some pasta, set aside some of the pasta water, then mix it all together with a little of the pasta water, which will sort of help everything become a bit saucy. Bam. Dinner. Sorted. Add some cheese (vegan) or nutritional yeast if you must.
Make it your own, I've suggested some super easy additions - such as the toasted almonds & slices of lemon in the photos. A dash of white wine, a splash of soy sauce.. a sprinkle of sesame seeds. All these make a delicious variation to the basic method. Do pay attention to the method though- that's what makes it special.
Perfect Vegan Garlic Greens Side Dish
For accuracy, I measure all ingredients in metric as standard, then convert and test the recipe for American cup measurements etc.
(Heads up Aussie and UK readers- your measurements in cups are sometimes different, so please use metric or check you have the correct cup and spoon type!!)
- 1 medium cabbage (roughly 700g) (or equivilant other greens: )
- 4-5 cloves garlic (finely sliced)
- 1 medium chilli, seeds removed and chopped (optional! Can also use mild chilli powder)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch salt
- Core the cabbage & thinly slice it (Or slice your other greens- if using brocolli cut into florets!). Have the garlic & chilli chopped & ready.
- Heat your frying pan or wok but DO NOT add the oil.
- Add the cabbage (or other greens) to the pan and let cook for a few minutes. They should start to blacken & char a little (this is good! You want that!- but you might want to turn the heat extractor on!)
- Now, add the oil, garlic & chilli, toss around and clamp the lid on.
- Cook for another 5 minutes or so- the greens will sort of saute/steam down.
- Season with salt & serve!
- Add a few slices of lemon when you add the garlic
- Add a scant ¼ glass of white wine - just after you add in the garlic
- Use a teaspoon of stock powder (boullion) alongside the garlic
- Toast some almonds or sesame seeds & sprinkle over to serve