Is there anything yummier than lovely smashed potatoes? Soft on the inside, crispy and golden brown on the outside and made super easy by cooking them in the air fryer. (You can use the oven too! don't worry!) These ultra yummy and super crispy air fryer smashed potatoes are the ones you'll make on repeat! You'll have to. Your whole family will beg you to!
These gorgeously easy potatoes are great all year round (I mean, they're potatoes!). But if you can get new season small potatoes in spring and early summer, they'll taste EXTRA amazing.
I love making smashed potatoes, you can make them in the oven, or even on the stovetop, like in my Vegan Smashed Potato & Sage Rösti. Utterly scrummy! If you want other great veggie recipes to make in the air fryer, why not try this Air Fryer Broccoli and Cauliflower or my new favourite, Air Fryer Roasted Tomatoes .
And to serve up with them, all I do is make up a 1:1 mix of my favourite pesto and vegan mayo. Pictured here is my yummy Wild Garlic Pesto with some Hellmans vegan mayo.
These smashed potatoes in the air fryer only need a few simple ingredients.
- Potatoes: Try and get slightly waxy new or gold potatoes. These are best for smashing. The fluffier main crop type tends to slightly disintegrate and fall apart when smashed. You also will need to keep the skins on, so new or baby potatoes are definitely the best to choose.
- Smoked Paprika: I love to add smoked paprika to my smashed potatoes.
- Good Olive Oil: A lovely olive oil really helps these potatoes ascend to absolute heavenly status. You don't need much, just a drizzle.
- Flakey Sea Salt: I love using Maldon sea salt, but use your favourite. The flakey kind is best as it is less 'salty' and has that lovely slight crunch to it.
For the full quantities, see the recipe card
Airfryer smashed potatoes are super simple to make! The full instructions are in the recipe card.
- Boil the potatoes until they are just soft.
2. Drain the potatoes, then on a tray smash each one with a flat bottomed glass. Push down firmly on them so they sort of squish/smash.
3. Drizzle some olive oil over the potatoes.
4. Add some paprika and season. Flip the potatoes over and do the other side too.
5. Add to your air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook for 20mins at 180C/356 F
6. Check the potatoes and wiggle them around halfway. They're cooked when they're crispy and golden brown on the outside and gorgeously soft in the middle.
- Oil Free - Make these oil-free and extra healthy by just cooking these directly in the airfryer with no oil! . Use a little water to get spices to stick to the potatoes.
These air fryer smashed potatoes are super easy to tailor to your own tastes!
- Chilli - Add some heat with chilli flakes. Go crazy or keep it mild.
- Herbs- oregano goes really well with potatoes, as does thyme. Add dried herbs when you're putting the oil on.
- Garlic- Add fresh whole garlic cloves when cooking the potatoes in the airfryer, then squish the garlic out and use to make a dip, or just to eat on their own. You can also sprinkle garlic powder over the potatoes.
- Cheesy- some nutritional yeast will take the potatoes to a cheesy dimension!
- Dips to serve! - I love to make up a mix of pesto and mayo, but you can also use hummus, or just your favourite ketchup!
I use my Ninja Airfryer to make this recipe, I seriously love it! Whichever air fryer you have will work though!
You can also make this recipe in a regular oven, just pop the potatoes on a sheet pan and cook for around 30mins.
I like to use waxy new potatoes. Don't make them too large! About the size of your palm is best.
These keep for up to a week in the fridge. Eat cold or reheat in the air fryer. Or turn into a hash!
You can just use some oil and salt if you like! Or get creative with your own herbs and spices combos.
The skins keep the potatoes from completely disintegrating when they get smashed so you do need to keep them on! Choose baby or new potatoes with thin skins.
You can easily make these in the oven instead, just pop in for around half an hour at a medium heat. The time you need will depend on your oven!
Choose potatoes that aren't too large! About the size of your palm is best. That way you get the best outer skin to soft fluffy interior crispy crunch!
Crispy Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
For accuracy, I measure all ingredients in metric as standard, then convert and test the recipe for American cup measurements etc.
(Heads up Aussie and UK readers- your measurements in cups are sometimes different, so please use metric or check you have the correct cup and spoon type!!)
- Boil your potatoes until just softened. Skin on!500 g new or waxy potatoes
- On a tray, smash the potatoes with a flat bottomed glass500 g new or waxy potatoes
- Drizzle over olive oil, paprika and salt.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon salt
- Turn the potatoes over and ensure they are covered in the seasoning and oil.
- Turn your air fryer on according to the manufactureres instructions. Heat it to 180C°/356F
- Cook the potatoes in the air fryer for 20 minutes, turning once.
- Serve with your favourite dips!