I love hummus.
This isn't exactly old news. I love making it, I love eating it, I love discovering new ways to make it and things to put it on. I also love new flavours of hummus, which purists will pooh pooh.
Well, I say pooh to them, flavoured hummus can be amazing.
And this recipe is a very fine example of a delicious flavoured hummus. It came about when I saw some old-skool sun dried tomatoes in a packet in the supermarket.
You see, I grew up in the 90's, when sun dried tomatoes were the hippest thing ever, and put on everything, a bit like avocado is now. At some point we all realised that actually they were a bit difficult to chew, and probably didn't need to be involved in every sandwich or salad & they fell from favour.
Which is a bit sad really, because I think we were kind of missing the point. They ARE delicious, just not necessarily used in everything. (Avocados however, are actually amazing on everything, but we all know that.)
What sets this little recipe apart, and really lifts it, is the addition of a secret ingredient.
Wanna know what it is?
Well... tune in next week and I'll show you alll my secrets.!
Ok. Just joking.
It's Smoked Paprika.
Actually. Maybe it's not such a secret ingredient. I do use it quite a lot. That smokey, ever so slightly spicy,flavour is so lush, and it works particularly well with hummus & sun dried tomatoes.
Don't just take my word for it. Go make it. You'll love it. You see, hummus is life. Ask any vegan!
- 6 halves Sun Dried tomatoes- soaked in warm water
- 1 tin chickpeas , drained, or equivilent cooked (400g or so)
- 2-3 Tbs tahini
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder (optional if you like a bit of heat)
- 1 clove garlic chopped (less if you like it not too garlicky) or 2 if you want it more garlicky
- Juice ½ lemon . You might need more than half depending on the lemon size
- salt to taste
- olive oil for drizzling later
- Soak the tomatoes for half an hour, reserve the water
- Whizz all the ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Taste and add more lemon juice/ salt/ smoked paprika
- If its a bit dry, add a little of the reserved soaking water from the tomatoes.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil & a sprinkle of smoked paprika over.