You will love how easy and speedy these Air Fryer Roasted Tomatoes are to make! I adore roasted tomatoes, but I don't love how long they take to make in the oven, which is why when I discovered you could make gorgeous Roasted Tomatoes in the Air Fryer, in just 15 minutes, I was over the moon! Hello summer snacking, we are ready for you! Rich juicy tomatoes that have a gorgeous slow-roasted jammy flavour are the ultimate way to top all kinds of dishes!
Rich and juicy roasted tomatoes make the perfect summertime appetizer. Serve them up with some vegan charcuterie or as part of a mezze. They also make a fabulous bruschetta topping, or a simple extra to a pasta dish, maybe with some yummy parsley pesto tossed through the spaghetti strands.
Or make a batch to whizz up in some smokey tomato hummus, then top the hummus with extra roasted tomatoes. (probably one of my favourite ways to make a flavoured hummus!) Because these are air fried, they are super quick to make, so you don't have to wait around with a hot oven on!
- Cherry Vine Tomatoes: I love to make roasted tomatoes when they are still on the vine, as the vine somehow intensifies their flavour, but you can just simply roast any cherry tomato you have available. Larger tomatoes, up to a golf ball in size also work, but need to be cut into two.
- Whole Garlic Cloves: These cook to just the right consistency for smearing on toast when in with the tomatoes. Optional, but why wouldn't you want roasted garlic!
- Oregano and/or Dried Thyme: or simply dried basil or Italian Seasoning. A sprinkle of herbs elevates these tomatoes and brings out their flavour. Experiment to find your favourite!
- Good Extra Virgin Olive Oil: These tomatoes really need that little spray of EVOO. It makes them go from yum to YUMMMM.
- Flakey Sea Salt: I love flakey salt to finish off the tomatoes.
- Optional: Chilli Flakes: Go mild, or go spicy, or leave these out all together!
See recipe card for quantities.
Making these jammy, savoury but sweet roasted tomatoes in the air fryer couldn't be easier.. Full instructions are on the recipe card too.
Line your air fryer basket with some aluminium foil. Scrunch it up so that it any oil or juices don't run out.
Add in the tomatoes and garlic cloves. Don't overcrowd the basket. Gently sprinkle some olive oil over them.
Season the tomatoes to your taste, with the herbs, salt and chilli. Swish the tomatoes a bit to evenly distribute the oil and seasonings.
Place the loaded air fryer basket into your air fryer that has been heated to 180c/ 356F and cook for 15 minutes! They will look like this when done.
Hint: Check on the tomatoes halfway through cooking. Different air fryers might take less or more time.
This method of cooking tomatoes in the air fryer is super versatile, make it to your own taste!.
- Spicy -Add in as much chilli as you like! Or leave it out altogether.
- Larger tomatoes - You can use larger tomatoes, just cut in half so they cook through. They might take longer
- Add any other spices you like.
This recipe is designed for an air fryer. I love my Ninja Foodie Grill and Air fryer, so can personally recommend that! However other air fryers will work just as well. My air fryer takes between 12-15 minutes to make these tomatoes, however others might vary.
You will also need aluminum foil to catch the drips!
You can make this recipe in a regular oven, with similar steps, however, the cooking time will be much longer.
Why the air fryer works so quickly!
Air fryers work by pushing super heated air over the food surface. The air fryer basket (or tray) is much smaller than a conventional oven, so you get a much more concentrated amount of hot air, flowing over the food. This creates a 'frying' effect which speeds up cooking. For foods like tomatoes, it means you get a jammy, slow cooked confit effect, without the long, slow cooking time. Delicious.
Store the roasted air fried tomatoes in an airtight container in the fridge. They last for up to 5 days or so.
Alternatively, you can also freeze the tomatoes, they will be very squishy upon thawing, so would be suitable for making sauce.
🍞 Serving Ideas
These gorgeous vine tomatoes that have been cooked in the air fryer to a jammy lovely consistency will go with so many dishes!
- As a topping for Bruschetta
- Add to a pie or a quiche
- Use instead of the tinned tomatoes in any pasta dish: Vegan Creamy Cannellini Bean & Tomato Pasta
Air Fryer Roasted Tomatoes
- Aluminium Foil
- Line your air fryer basket with aluminium foil so it comes up the edges a bit. This prevents those delicious juices from escaping.
- Add the tomatoes and garlic cloves, then drizzle with olive oil.500 g cherry tomatoes, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 8 cloves garlic
- Add all the seasonings to the air fryer basket. Give them a little swoosh around to ensure they are evenly spread over the tomatoes.1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon chilli flakes, 1 teaspoon flakey salt
- Set your air fryer to 180°C/356°F
- Cook in the air fryer for 15 minutes. Check half way through
- . Different air fryers timing might vary, so remove the tomatoes when they are blistered and have wrinkled up a bit, releasing their juices.