I didn't start out to make a gluten-free version of a tabbouleh salad, however, I ran out of bulghar wheat & so used some quinoa instead. This High Protein Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad is super simple to make and is the perfect addition to take along to a BBQ or on a picnic.
First of all the Quinoa itself has lots of protein. In fact, unlike some other grains, quinoa is actually a complete protein. This means it has all the 9 amino acids contained within it that our bodies need.
It also has edamame beans in it. Yes I know, edamame beans are not traditional in tabbouleh salad, however, they add a lovely extra texture and protein boost, so I like add them. You could substitute green peas if you like, or just leave it them all together.
The other key to making this salad extra delicious is using lots of freshly squeezed lemon juice! That delicious lemony tang is really what makes this recipe sing!
As with any salad, the fresher the ingredients the better. I like to buy huge bunches of parsley from a market, and the mint I used was picked fresh from my garden, as were the tomatoes! Really ripe juicy tomatoes are essential when adding them to a salad!
The ingredients list is really very short- but packs loads of flavour! All you need is
- Fresh Parsley
- Fresh Mint (optional but yummy)
- Spring onions (Scallions)
- Juicy ripe tomatoes
- Freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
- Edamame Beans (shelled) or peas
- Good Olive Oil
- and a sprinkle of good quality salt!
I took this salad along to a BBQ, along with some of my favourite Black Bean, Mushroom & Seitan burgers. We don't think you should ever miss out on a great BBQ experience because you're eating a plant based diet- in fact, we wrote up a whole blog post all about what you could take along- check it out for more ideas! The Best Vegan BBQ Dishes & Summer Food
🥗Other Salads you might like
And if you would like some other Summer salad ideas, we have plenty! Try these:
If you make this yummy vegan High Protein Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad & like it, please let us know in the comments below!
High Protein Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad
- 85 g Uncooked Quinoa (½ Cup) (if using already cooked quinoa- use 1.5 cups)
- 100 g Fresh Parsley Around 2 cups chopped
- 20 g Fresh Mint optional but yummy
- 100 g Spring onions (aka Scallions) - around 1 bunch
- 200 g Juicy ripe tomatoes (about 1 cup)
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 Lemon- freshly squeezed
- 75 Frozen, podded Edamame Beans peas (½ cup)
- 1 tbsp Good Olive Oil
- Flakey Sea Salt to taste or kosher salt
To Cook Perfect Fluffy Quinoa
- First rinse the quinoa really well, a fine seive will help with that!
- Put the quinoa in a saucepan, then cover with water. You want enough water in it so when you rest your finger on the quinoa the water goes half way up from your fingertip to your first knuckle.
- Add a pinch of salt & put a lid on the quinoa pot and bring to a fast boil.
- Take the heat right down and simmer for 5 mins.
- Now leave the quinoa there with the lid on for another 15-20 mins.**DO NOT REMOVE THE LID!** This lets the quinoa steam and will result in perfect fluffy quinoa.
For the salad
- Let the quinoa cool & get on with the rest of the salad
- Chop the tomatoes into little pieces.
- Finely chop the parsley and mint
- Finely chop the spring onions- including the green parts!
- Boil a kettle of water & pour over the frozen edamame beans. Leave for a few minutes & drain. Refresh in cold water to stop them cooking further and drain
- In a large bowl, add the quinoa, vinegar and the juice of one lemon. Mix.
- Add all the other ingredients into the salad. Mix again and taste.
- Add more lemon juice, salt or olive oil if you like, to your own taste
- Serve with more herbs sprinkled over the top.