If you search back in The Vegan Larder archives, you'll find another version of this Chargrilled Chopped Corn, Tomato & Herb Salad. I make this salad each year as the season turns and the sweet corn becomes plentiful & the tomatoes are at their ripest just before leaving us with the memory of summer.
Actually, scrap that. Don't look in the archives, the photos are terrible. Stay here and enjoy this instead.
I make this salad for the last of the summer BBQs, charring the corn on the BBQ grill before all the veggie patties and skewers get put onto the grill. Or I make a batch using the oven grill for dinner, knowing there will be plenty of left overs for lunch the next day. It's one of those salads that keeps well, or even improves with a bit of sitting around.
It's also brilliant stuffed into some soft tacos, maybe with some quick guacamole and some refried beans to accompany it. Or some peppers and mushrooms that you have pan fried with cumin and smoked paprika to spice it up. I rather love how it easily adapts to the other flavours of the season in a relaxed Mexi/Cali/South American influenced way.
We love to eat them this way with a good splodge of our new fave Coriander & Lime sauce by The Sauce Shop. Or maybe a dash of something hotter.
The sweet corn season is all too brief, so make the most of it & the juiciest tomatoes while they are ripe and plentiful.
Chargrilled Chopped Corn, Tomato & Herb Salad
- 2 or 3 Corn Cobs
- 500 g very ripe tomatoes use whatever varieties you have, but make sure they are ripe and delicious.
- 1 bunch spring onions (around 6-7 spring onions)
- 1 pointy red pepper
- 3-4 Tbs fresh coriander OR fresh basil & parsley not everyone likes coriander, I think a mix of parsley and basil gives the best fragrance
- Juice ½ lemon
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- large pinch salt
- Grill the sweet corn over a BBQ or under a grill until some of the corn is blackened but all is sweet and cooked through. Carefully slice the corn off the cob.
- Chop the peppers into 1cm pieces, and the spring onions into small slices.
- If you are using cherry tomatoes, chop them in half, otherwise chop the tomatoes into 2-3 cm cubes.
- Roughly chop the herbs, then mix everything together & leave for at least 15 mins to allow the flavours to mingle.
- Add more oil, lemon or salt if you think the salad needs it.
- Serve with a BBQ or as part of a Taco dinner or as an office lunch.