I make this simple but delicious Grilled Corn and Tomato salad each year as the season turns and the sweet corn becomes plentiful & the tomatoes are at their ripest. Some fresh herbs, a twist of lemon and lime, and it's the very essence of late summer in a bowl!
This salad is all about the freshest, seasonal ingredients.
- Sweet Corn on the Cob the fresher it is, the juicier and sweeter the corn! Try and get corn that has fresh green looking husks. Peel some of the husk away to check that the corn is plump and juicy.
- Really Ripe Tomatoes Sweet corn season coincides with the best and juiciest of the tomato season. Make sure yours aren't kept in the fridge for the most fragrant flavour. (even better if you can pick your own from your garden or have a local grower!)
- Fresh Herbs I alternate between using mint, coriander, basil and parsley in this salad. Any combination that you fancy will taste AMAZING.
- Fresh lemon or lime juice. A really good squeeze will make the flavours all come together.
- Char grill the corn. Either on the BBQ or under your grill in the oven.
- Chop the corn kernals off the cob
- Chop the ripe tomatoes, spring onion .
- Choose your favourite herbs and chop.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, add lime or lemon juice,
- Add olive oil, salt and mix, taste for seasoning and serve!
Choose corn that has light green, soft husks that is wrapped up tightly against the corn cob. The tassles should be fresh looking and not dried out. If you can, peel back a layer of the husk and check the kernals to see if they are fresh and plump!
This salad remains fresh for up to three days in the fridge. It stands well out of the fridge too, making it great to take on picnics or for lunch. Keep it cool and out of the sun!.
Fresh herbs of your favourite variety! I like to use a combination of mint, coriander (cilantro) and parsley. Or use basil and parsley for a more 'Italian' flavoured salad.
🥗 Serving Ideas.
I make this Grilled Corn and Tomato salad for the last of the summer BBQs, charring the corn on the BBQ grill before all the veggie patties and skewers get put onto the grill. Or I make a batch using the oven grill for dinner, knowing there will be plenty of left overs for lunch the next day. It's one of those salads that keeps well, or even improves with a bit of sitting around.
Try these recipes to accompany it!
- Ultimate Vegan Blackbean & Mushroom Seitan Burger
- BBQ Peri Peri Seitan Chicken
- Vegan Smokey Seitan and Black Bean Sausages
It's also brilliant stuffed into some soft tacos, maybe with some quick guacamole and some refried beans to accompany it.
The sweet corn season is all too brief, so make the most of it & the juiciest tomatoes while they are ripe and plentiful.
If you make this yummy seasonal Grilled Corn and Tomato Salad, please let us know in the comments below, and give us a rating !
Grilled Corn and Tomato Salad
For accuracy, I measure all ingredients in metric as standard, then convert and test the recipe for American cup measurements etc.
(Heads up Aussie and UK readers- your measurements in cups are sometimes different, so please use metric or check you have the correct cup and spoon type!!)
- 2 (2 ) Corn cobs (this recipe needs fresh whole sweet corn)
- 500 g (3 cups) very ripe tomatoes (use whatever varieties you have, but make sure they are ripe and delicious. )
- 6 spring onions
- 4 tablespoon (4 tablespoon) fresh herbs (Coriander, Mint , parsley or basil)
- 50 ml (¼ cup) lime juice (or lemon. About the juice of one lime. )
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- large pinch salt
- Grill the sweet corn over a BBQ or under a grill until some of the corn is blackened but all is sweet and cooked through.
- Carefully slice the corn off the cob.
- Chop the spring onions into small slices.
- If you are using cherry tomatoes, chop them in half, otherwise chop the tomatoes into 2-3 cm cubes.
- Roughly chop the herbs, then mix everything together & leave for at least 15 mins to allow the flavours to mingle.
- Add more oil, lime or salt if you think the salad needs it.
- Serve with a BBQ or as part of a Taco dinner or as an office lunch.