This refreshing and easy-to-make twist on the classic potato salad is perfect for serving up at all your BBQs and get-togethers. A light creamy vegan dressing combined with baby potatoes, peas and dill make this salad a total crowd-pleaser, for vegans and non-vegans too!
Summer is the perfect time to make herb filled salads. I find they add a unique freshness and depth of flavour that is perfect for sunny days. One of my other absolute favourites for summer is this High Protein Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad (Gluten Free) I often make a batch of both to have on hand to eat throughout the week.
This delicious vegan potato salad makes the most of new season potatoes and fresh green peas.
- New Potatoes: Use little new potatoes in this salad. Small and slightly waxy potatoes with their thin tasty skins left on are perfect for creating the base of this salad.
- Peas: I used a mix of sugar snap and fresh young peas that I picked from our garden, but use whatever of these you like best. Just frozen peas are fine too.
- Dill: don't skimp on the fresh herbs. I use dill, but if that's not to your taste, or tricky to get, use chives or fresh parsley.
- Mayo: Use store-bought vegan mayo, or make your own, such as my easy home made aquafaba mayo.
- Greek Yoghurt: I use a simple vegan greek yoghurt mixed in with the mayo. It's optional, but I find it lightens up the dressing.
For the complete quantities and instructions head to the recipe card below.
This easy salad comes together in no time! Just be sure to leave time for the potatoes and peas to chill before mixing together.
Boil the potatoes whole, with skin on until fork tender. Blanche the peas by boiling some water and pour over the peas and sugar snap peas. Quickly drain and cool with ice.
Drain the potatoes and peas and put them separately in a bowl with ice to stop them cooking.
While the potatoes and peas are cooling, make the dressing. Combine mayo, vegan greek yoghurt and lemon juice.
Finely chop the fresh dill and add it into the dressing.
Mix the herbs well to combine with the dressing.
Chop the potatoes into chunks now they are cooled. Add them along with the peas to the salad.
Gently toss the potato salad with dill dressing to combine. Serve.
HINT: Cook the potatoes whole. Then once they are tender, drain and run cold water over them. Put them in a bowl with some icecubes to rapidly cool them down, ready to chop and use in the salad.
Substitutions and Variations:
- Peas: Swap the peas for beans or edamame. Choose your favourite!
- Herbs: Don't like dill? Use parsley, fresh mint and/or chives. Make this easy recipe yours.
- Dressing: You can choose to make this salad with non-vegan mayo or yoghurt. Choose your favourite brands.
This vegan potato salad with peas and dill keeps well for up to 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge. This salad can't be frozen!
Small salad or new potatoes are best for this salad.
Boil some water and pour it over the peas in a bowl. Quickly drain and refresh in iced water. This quickly cooks the peas, but stops the cooking process,giving them a fresh bright green look.
The dressing is designed to be fresh. If you put hot vegetables into the dressing it will go greasy and split which is not nice!
Make sure the potatoes and peas are cooled before mixing in with the dressing.
Potato Salad with Dill and Peas
- 500 g new potatoes
- 100 g Mangetout (Snow Peas!) (or sugar snap peas. )
- 100 g freshly podded peas (or frozen)
- 4 tablespoon Fresh dill (or chives or parsley) (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon vegan greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon tabasco or hot sauce
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Simmer the new potatoes whole (with skins on) in boiling water until tender.500 g new potatoes
- In the meantime, blanch the peas and mangetout or sugar snap peas in boiling water for 10 secs, then refresh in cold water and ice and drain.100 g Mangetout (Snow Peas!), 100 g freshly podded peas
- Chop the mangetout /sugar snap peas into quarters.100 g Mangetout (Snow Peas!)
- Drain and refresh the potatoes under cold water to stop them boiling and cool them down to room temperature.500 g new potatoes
- Mix the mayo, greek yoghurt and lemon juice, together. Add hot sauce if using. Add a generous pinch of salt and mix in the herbs. Taste and add more seasoning if necessary.4 tablespoon Fresh dill (or chives or parsley), 2 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise, 2 tablespoon vegan greek yoghurt, 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1 teaspoon tabasco or hot sauce, Salt & Pepper to taste
- Add all the ingredients into a bowl and mix gently so the salad is evenly covered in the dressing.
- Taste and add more salt or pepper or lemon juice to taste