So far this Summer has been a scorcher! Long days of hot weather for weeks on end are pretty much unheard of in the UK, and whilst we aren't really complaining , it has thrown up some interesting cooking dilemmas for those of us who are used to cooking inside year round.
I mean, when you only really have to cater for one, maybe two BBQ grill outs a year the same salads you usually make to go alongside the BBQ feasts are fine. But week after week of the same old thing gets kinda boring. And no one wants boring salad!
What you want is a riff on the salads you love, with a twist of other seasonal ingredients to liven up the offering. To mix it up, yet to remain easy and carefree.
An amazing Pea, Potato and Dill Salad might just do the trick....!
This delicious vegan potato salad makes the most of new season potatoes and fresh green peas. We had a mix of Mangetout, sugar snap and fresh young peas that I picked from our garden, but use whatever of these you like best. Quickly blanched and mixed with my current favourite herb, dill, it becomes a cooling and uplifting salad.
These can be be eaten alongside a delicious bean burger with some thing sparkling to drink. Or take along on a picnic or to be packed up for a work or school lunch with some other left overs.
One of the nicest things about this salad is the cooling, refreshing, yet tangy mayo mix that it gets tossed in. I use my own home made aquafaba mayo here, ( it's this Aquafaba Alioli) but use any good shop bought vegan mayo, there are loads around now, and some are really good!
Finally, don't skimp on the fresh herbs. I use dill, but if that's not to your taste, or tricky to get, use chives or fresh parsley.
Eat outside, with a smile on your face!
Summer Potato, Pea & Dill Salad
- 500 g new potatoes
- 1 Handful Mangetout (Snow Peas!)
- 1 cup freshly podded peas
- 1 handful Fresh dill (or chives or parsley) finely chopped
- 4-5 Spring Onions finely chopped
- 3 TBS good vegan mayo
- 1 TBS Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar or squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Simmer the new potatoes whole (with skins on) in boiling water until tender.
- In the meantime, blanch the peas and Mangetout in boiling water for 10 secs, then refresh in cold water and drain.
- Chop the Mangetout into quarters.
- Drain and refresh the potatoes under cold water to stop them boiling and cool them down to room temperature.
- Mix the mayo, mustard, vinegar together
- Add all the ingredients into a bowl and mix gently so the salad is evenly covered in the dressing.
- Taste and add more salt/pepper, mustard or lemon juice to taste