Until recently I was a tofu scramble sceptic.
I like tofu- don't get me wrong- I know a billion ways to cook it to make it crispy and tasty & delicious- to eat in sandwiches, as snacks and in stir frys.
But the thought of soft tofu just didn't do it for me. I think I had had too many squishy, non descript - almost slimy, Chinese take-away tofu dishes that had scarred me.
We don't live anywhere near a vegan inclined cafe so I could try it out before I made it, so, intrepid food explorer that I am, I decided to give it a go myself. After reasearching a whole lot of different recipes, I ended up going freestyle a bit and just chucked some herbs, sweet peppers and turmeric together and hoped for the best.
And, I'm really really glad I did!- Tofu Scramble ROCKS!!
Tofu scramble, dare I say it, is actually... probably .....even nicer than scrambled eggs. The texture is really similar, but never has that slight slimy-ness that eggs can have. You do have to add more herbs and spices to the mix (turmeric is essential) but this is an easy sprinkle for colour and flavour and you can mix it up according to taste/ type of cuisine you're trying to evoke.
I've made this a few times now : Above you can see my first attempt, which I added spinach to, as well as the peppers in my recipe below.. - My latest, and most successful incarnation I pimped into a burrito wrap. Which really is the breakfast of champions! Tasty, light, full of protein & flavour plus really satisfying.
I'm just adding the recipe for the Tofu scramble here- To make a burrito wrap simply spread the tofu mix across the wrap once cooked and add in leaves such as baby spinach, avocado, tomatoes and whatever sauce tickles your fancy and roll up. In the image here I had used some of my wild garlic pesto and some sriracha sauce for a kick, but I dare say brown sauce or plain old tomato sauce would be just as delicious.
Tell me how you like to eat tofu! And let me know if you try this recipe out, and how you pimp your own.
- 1 block firm tofu
- ½ a sweet pepper/capsicum
- 1 small garlic clove (optional, but I like it!)
- A shallot or small onion or spring onions
- 1 Tbs turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp mild chilli powder
- Salt & Pepper
- ½ tbs olive oil
- Slice the tofu, then lay the slices flat and wrap it in a paper towel or clean dish cloth.
- Place on a dish, then place another on top with a weight on it ( I use tins of beans) This pushes the moisture out of the tofu, making the texture nice and fluffy.
- Leave to stand for 20 mins whilst you prep everything else.
- Finely dice the peppers, chop the onions and sautee in a frying pan for a few minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Now, crumble the tofu into a bowl, you want it nice and crumbled, into no bigger than 1cm square pieces- preferably finer. It's easiest to use your fingers for this.
- Put the tofu into the frying pan with the onions & pepper and add all the other spices.
- Cook, pushing around until everything is combined, the tofu has been coloured yellow by the turmeric and it all starts to soften.
- Serve immediately!
Go Italian by adding oregano, basil & tomato instead of the cumin & chilli.
Try a more Indian flavour by adding garam marsala.
Go Greek with oregano & dill
This scramble works really well with avocado or garlic mushrooms to accompany it as well as in a burrito.