So now you've tried all the different ways to make Tofu crunchy & flavourful from my How to Tofu #1 (What- you haven't read it? Well go check out the basics here.. ) and have hopefully taken the time to check out my fave recipes using crispy tofu here. , it's time to take it to the next level of tofu lover find out how to make a tofu scramble.
One of the things that I love most about Tofu is how versatile it is.
Tofu makes a great scramble and is super easy to whip up. Its soft texture perfectly mimics that of gently scrambled eggs, and as it takes on flavours so readily, you can easily change the flavours to suit your breakfasting, lunching or dinner dreams.
The best type of tofu to use for a more bouncy scramble is a firm tofu that hasn't been drained or pressed, however, you can also use a firm silken tofu for a softer smoother scramble. What ever you use, you'll end up with a delicious and easy vegan dish that everyone will love.
So how does it work? Well, you simply sautee your favourite onion type thing (spring onions, garlic or whatever) then add the tofu and squish around with some herbs and turmeric. The turmeric adds a lovely yellow colour and a subtle eggy flavour.
It's super easy to decide how much tofu you need per person. Around 100g of tofu = 1 egg. Most of the packs of tofu I buy are around 400g total weight, so ¼ of a pack is around 1 egg. Just like a traditional scramble, scale the recipe up or down depending on how hungry you or the people you are cooking for are.
Below is the basic recipe for a yummy vegan (and EASY!) tofu scramble. Be sure to watch out for the next in this How to Tofu series, which will be a fab round up from some great cooks & bloggers with their innovative recipes using tofu to veganise much loved eggy dishes, including a quiche and egg fried rice!
- 400 g tofu (firm or silken will work)
- 1 small pointy red pepper, chopped
- 2-3 spring onions
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped optional
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp mild chilli flakes or powder optional
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs Fresh Herbs
- 1 Tsp olive or vegetable oil
- In a frying pan, heat up the oil. Sautee the peppers, spring onions & garlic.
- Take the tofu & drain it, then mash it up a bit with a fork so its quite squishy.
- Add it to the pan, and add the chilli (if using) and turmeric, cook for a bit, breaking the tofu up even more with your wooden spoon.
- To serve, mix in the fresh herbs and salt & pepper to taste.