These easy to make Vegan Zucchini Fries are the perfect way to eat up loads of in-season courgettes/zucchinis! (no matter what you call them!) (This is an update of my original post back in 2016, it's still a great recipe!)
I'm an Aussie so I like to call these zucchini. But here in the UK we call them courgette. Whatever you call them, invariably I plant at least 3 zucchini/courgette plants thinking that at least one might survive slug attacks. Most of the time they all survive. Which means we end up with LOADS of zucchini to eat.
Fortunately, courgette fries are an easy way to snack your way through an entire one per person without too much trauma.
To encourage the crispy coating to stick to the courgette, I use my favourite method which I swear is better than any egg wash. It's simply a tablespoon of ground flax seed (linseed) mixed with 2 tbsp of water until it forms a kind of jellyish liquid. This will cling and hang onto the heaviest of crunchy crumb.
Then it's simply a matter of dredging the zucchini fry shapes in the ground flax seed mix, then in your flavoured bread crumbs, then put on on an oven sheet and baked!
I use panko breadcrumbs because I like how light and crunchy they are. You could make your own or use another variety however.
These are best cooked and eaten immediatley. If you want you can reheat in the oven.
You could use any of the summer squashes with this fries recipe. It would also work well with asparagus or green beans!
Yes absolutely. Add more chilli or your other favourite spices.
I prefer to oven bake when I can, but you could deep fry these. They don't work so well shallow fried however.
Yes! You can use gluten free breadcrumbs. Or use some ground almonds or other nuts or seeds instead of the breadcrumb altogether. The flaxseed/linseed is an excellent binding agent so can hold up to quite chunky crumbs.
🥗 To Serve
This easy to make vegan zucchini fries recipe is perfect to serve up with some vegan Alioli mayo made with that miracle ingredient- Aquafaba (aka Chickpea water). Make your own by using this recipe I wrote here. and adding extra garlic. Or just add some garlic into some shop bought vegan mayo. We like Follow Your Heart brand.
Try serving these with our yummy burgers
These are perfect to eat just on their own, or with a salad or a burger. Definitely have a glass of crispy white wine to go alongside, the recipe practically demands it.
If you make these yummy vegan Zucchini fries and love them, please let us know in the comments below!
Vegan Zucchini Fries
- Preheat your oven to Gas Mark 7/ 220C°/428F°
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Slick a little olive oil on it to help create the crunch.
- Mix the linseed/flaxseed with the water and let it sit for 5 minutes to form a gel.
- Mix the panko breadcrumbs, chilli powder, herbs, nutritional yeast and salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Cut up your zucchini/courgette into fry shaped batons.
- Dip the zucchini batons into the linseed seed mix
- Coat the batons in the flavoured breadcrumbs.
- Lay out on the tray, drizzle a little extra olive oil over for an extra crunchy finish.
- Cookthe fries on a tray in the oven, for about 25 minutes, flipping once to ensure a crispy finish on all sides.
- Serve with the Alioli and a salad and lovely fresh Sauv Blanc.