Wow, I first wrote up these Indian Spiced Chickpea & Cauliflower Burgers back in March 2016, and it seems a shame that they have been languishing in the archives for so long, without being given some more love.!
These lovely burgers are full of good things and have a with a subtle spicing from garam masala. They’re as delicious eaten fresh from the pan as they are taken in to work or out on a picnic. Plus they’re pretty easy to make too, and happen to be be 100% gluten free, which is a bonus for our gluten sensitive readers.
As with so many burgers and patties, they’re great for making ahead, so you can make a batch for a few work lunches, or even freeze them for quick dinner or lunch at a later date.
The thing is, these yummy burgers are are pretty freekin’ delicious but they are pretty difficult to photograph beautifully.. so please excuse the somewhat dodgy snaps. They taste WAY better than they look, that I can promise you)
So what makes these Indian Spiced Chickpea & Cauliflower Burgers so great?
- They are 100% gluten free, and use a linseed ‘egg’ to bind them.
- They are great cold as well as warm, which makes them perfect for lunch boxes
- The recipe would be really easy to update with other flavours. Italian.. Mexican.. just get out your spices and experiment.
- Just one of these patties is super filling- which leads me to my last point
- This recipe makes at least 8 good sized patties which is way too many for 2 people, so I froze most, ready to bring out for food emergencies. You can then cook these from frozen in the oven. Perfect for busy weeknights. If you have more mouths to feed, double the recipe & make even more, once the intial mixing is done you might as well cook a double batch.
- These are amazing with some sauce or salsa to smear all over them. I’ve shown them served with a glorious green tahini sauce.
Let us know if you love these Cauliflower & Chickpea burgers as much as we do! And if you love burgers, be sure to check out our other amazing burger recipes, such as the fab and easy BBQable Bean burger which we make for every BBQ we have throughout summer!
- 1 tin chickpeas , drained, reserving the chickpea water (aquafaba) as well as the chickpeas!
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 4-5 tablespoons gram (chickpea) flour
- 5 tablespoons chickpea water from the tin
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 2 small cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder (or to taste)
- Salt & Pepper
Cut the cauliflower into small florets and boil or steam until tender.
Fry the onion, garlic and pepper until the onion is translucent.
Add the spices and fry for a minute until fragrent.
In a bowl, combine the chickpeas and onion mix. Bash the chickpeas around with a potato masher or fork until roughly mashed.
Add in the cauliflower & stir till combined.
Add the chickpea water and gram flour and stir until combined and able to be squished into a cohesiveish ball.
Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and turn the oven on to Gas Mark 7/ 220C.
Form the mixture into balls and squish into patty/burger shapes onto the tray. I found this easiest to do with my hands, although quite messy.
Bake in the oven for 10 mins, then turn over, to bake for another 10 mins (or a bit longer if you want a more browned and crispy finish)
Serve with salad, or in a bun.