We LOVE burgers here at The Vegan Larder! While there are some great ones you can buy, it's actually so easy (and tasty!) to make them. That's right - we make big, juicy burgers! With loads of trimmings and full of yummy ingredients that when whizzed together and made into a patty become so much more than a sum of their parts. This delicious Beetroot and Lentil Burger recipe made with wholefoods is satisfying as well as being healthy!
💗Why you'll love these burgers!
When making a vegan burger, using protein in the form of a pulse is pretty much essential. Lentils are perfect for the base for a burger! They lend a peppery, meaty (in the nicest plantiest way!) depth that squishes up easily to form a burger patty.
Beetroot with its earthy, sweet taste is a natural partner for lentils. It also lends a lovely red colour as well as a juicyness to the burger patty. Add in some fresh herbs and the spicyness of cumin and a hit of chilli and this burger is as delicious as it is easy to make and cook.
It's also gluten-free, tastes delicious and super filling from the protein! If you want more information on the best protein sources, check out our guide.
🥚How to hold burgers together
First of all, these beetroot and lentil burgers hold together VERY well! You may be used to using eggs to hold burger and patties together. However, it could be easier (and healthier) to bind vegan food and replace eggs. For binding burgers and patties, it's best to use either milled linseed/flaxseed or milled chia seeds. Milled just means blended, so it's a powder. You then mix this powder with water and it forms a kind of gel, that binds everything!
Check out our guide on the best vegan egg replacements! You can buy linseed/flaxseed ready milled, or just do it yourself. Chia seeds you generally have to mill yourself. Both are great egg replacements. I've used linseed/flaxseed for these lentil and beetroot burgers, but chia seeds will also work just fine.
Here are the ingredients for the lentil and beetroot burgers:
- Raw beetroot - you'll love the colour this adds!
- Lentils - you can also use any kind of bean instead if you want
- Onions and garlic
- Spices - I've used cumin and chilli powder, but you can omit chilli and add smoked paprika if you want a different taste
- Milled linseed/flaxseed - this holds it together and makes a vegan "egg" when mixed with water. You can use milled chia seeds if you want instead
- Fresh parsely or corriander
Here's how to make these delicious lentil and beetroot burgers:
- whiz up your raw beetroot
- add the lentils, onion, garlic and spices
- make your linseed/flaxseed "egg" - you do this by mixing the linseed and water together and letting it form a gel
- add the linseed/flaxseed "egg" to the burger mix, and combine well
- form into your lentil and beetroot burgers, and fry or bake!
Here's what people often ask me about these beetroot and lentil burgers.
The ground linseed/flaxseed is the binder for the burgers. I suggest squishing them really well into a patty shape before pan-frying. A good non-stick pan is essential.
Yes you can! I suggest brushing with a little oil and baking on some baking paper so they don't stick.
Yes! Put them between layers of greaseproof paper to freeze. They can be cooked directly from frozen. Or you can freeze the burger mix.
Yes! Just grate the beetroot and use a potato masher to really break up the lentils. (use gloves when grating the beetroot unless you want pretty pink stained hands!). Then mix everything up by hand.
🍔Try these with...
How you eat your beetroot and lentil burgers is up to you! Stack them with all the condiments you can think of... Here are my top suggestions:
- Why not try making your own garlicky mayo to slather on top? Our foolproof aquafaba recipe is perfect!
- Or perhaps you would prefer to buy your mayo- We're big fans of the Follow Your Heart brand
- And of course all burgers need some yummy vegan cheese slices - we're big fans of the vegan Applewood cheese for burgers! or you can make your own healthy vegan cashew cheese.
- And obviously, a big old splodge of ketchup is always a good idea. Our fave is Rubies in the Rubble's!
I can't wait to make more of them... and create some more yummy burger flavours to bring in the warmer weather.
If you love this idea, please share this post with your friends and comment below; this helps others find our yummy recipes!
Love & Vegan Yummies,
Louise & Vanessa xx
Easy Beetroot and Lentil Burgers
- 250 g raw beetroot
- 300 g cooked lentils (*drained well.)
- ½ onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoon milled linseed/flaxseed (mixed with 6 tablespoon water, this is the binder for the burger)
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 25 g fresh parsley or coriander (about a handful)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- In a food processor, whizz up the peeled beetroot roughly.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients and whizz up again until you have a burger-ish kind of mass. NB Don't over process! You want some texture.
- Form into patties. How many you make depends on how big the patties are. I usually get 4 burgers out of this.
- If the patties are looking a little wet, add more dry linseed into it to soak up the juices. This will help bind it further.
- Pan fry or grill until crisped up on the outside and cooked through. (about 5 mins each side)
- Serve on a bun with ALL the burger things you love.