You're going to love this recipe for Chocolate Banana Brownies! It's a super easy vegan recipe, that mixes up quickly with no faff, and always comes out fudgily delicious, thanks to the banana and loads of chocolate chips!
I first made this recipe a few years ago as a Spiced Christmas Chocolate Banana Brownie, so I've also included the optional Christmas Spices for you. This recipe is too good to hide away just for Christmas though! Whichever way you choose to make this chocolate banana brownie recipe it's going to become a firm favourite!
This simple banana brownie recipe is pretty great year 'round, but I do love making with lots of spices for Christmas. But if you want a more summery recipe, that's still indulgent and uses up some bananas, you might want to try out my awesome Strawberry & White Chocolate Banana Bread. It's super simple to make and comes out perfectly every time!.
- Bananas - just like with a banana bread, you can use up squishy bananas here! The banana binds the brownie, plus keeps it fudgily delicious.
- Brown Sugar- brown sugar has a richer, fudgier texture than white. I like how it adds depth of flavour to the recipe, as well as adding to the excellent brownie-fudgy texture.
- Good Quality Cocoa Powder- The cocoa element in this brownie is quite high (hello healthy polyphenols!) so choose a good quality one. I like organic Green and Blacks cocoa powder for cooking, but use your favourite.)
- Dark Chocolate Chips- I use a whole 100g of vegan dark chocolate chips in this recipe. As they melt into the bake, they add a glorious chocolatey richness. Lots of dark chocolate is naturally vegan, just check the package to ensure that it doesn't have any added milk.
- Optional Christmas Spices- Add cinnamon, mixed spice, ginger and nutmeg for a lovely Christmassy vibe. Or leave them out. Or you could just add cinnamon if you like!
For the full Vegan Banana Chocolate Brownie recipe and all the instructions, please head to the recipe card below. Use these images as a helping hand for how the recipe should look as you cook along!.
- First choose two soft bananas.
2. Roughly chop then mash the bananas until quite smooth and not lumpy.
3. Now measure the dry ingredients out (if you are using spices, add here) and mix to combine.
4. Now add in the vegan milk, neutral oil and banana.
5. Mix together the batter very well, then add the chocolate chips and fold in.
6. Pour the banana brownie batter into a lined tin and bake.The brownies will take around half an hour in the oven. They are ready when you can poke a skewer in and it comes out clean (ish, there might be melted chocolate on it!)
🍓 Variations and Substitutions
My original recipe adds in lots of Christmas inspired spices to this simple recipe. But you can get creative with it;
- White Chocolate: Add white chocolate chips for a fun contrast to the rich chocolate batter.
- Nutty: Add your favourite nuts, up to 100 g of nuts will go well in the brownie batter.
- Gluten Free- choose gluten free flour. I haven't tested this out yet, so will update when I have.
- This recipe is already naturally vegan, egg and dairy free!
I like to use oat or soya milk, but you can use your favourite.
These brownies will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container, for up to a week in the fridge (due to their banana content) and up to 3 months in the freezer. If you freeze them, defrost, then pop in the oven for 5 minutes to warm them up!
Yes you can, it will be a little less rich, but perfectly fine.
Of course you can! Use your favourite frosting, or why not try the ganache we use on our favourite chocolate cake.
If you like this Chocolate Banana Brownie recipe, you might want to try out our other brownie and Christmas recipes:
- Raspberry, White Chocolate and Pecan Vegan Blondies
- Granny's Famous Rum Balls made Vegan!
- Trio of Vegan Christmas Chocolate Truffles, Orange, Vanilla & Pecan.
Chocolate Banana Brownies
- Baking Tin 24 x 24 cm
- 240 grams plain (all purpose) flour
- 250 grams brown sugar
- 75 grams unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 300 g mashed ripe bananas (approx 2 medium bananas)
- 150 ml unsweetened soy milk or oat milk
- 120 ml sunflower or other unflavoured oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100 grams dark vegan chocolate chips (or dark vegan chocolate chunks)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4/350°F and line a brownie tin (approx 24cm x 24cm).
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, brown sugar, cocoa, spices (if using) baking powder & salt.
- Mash the bananas well.
- Stir the milk, oil, and vanilla until well-blended.
- Add banana and other liquids to the flour mix and stir gently until combined.
- Add the choc chips and fold through the batter.
- Pour the (now delicious smelling) brownie batter into prepared baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- (Make sure you don't overbake, or the brownie may not be as fudgy and squidgy).
- Cut into squares & sprinkle some icing sugar over to serve.
My original photos from the first time I made these! Awww.