You'll love this quick, easy and luxuriously smooth vegan chocolate ganache, made with just two ingredients! It's so versatile. Use it for topping any cake, brownies, cupcakes, tray bakes or any other sweet treat. Or even drizzle it on pancakes or icecream. It's totally dairy free, and is made without coconut milk or coconut products.
Well, it's just got two ingredients, and doesn't include coconut, so you just get a pure chocolately, indulgent taste!
- Dark chocolate - it's best to use high quality chocolate where you can. I love using Green & Blacks dark chocolate, but any dark chocolate / chocolate chips will do. Double-check it's dairy-free chocolate first.
- Plant based/vegan milk - use an unsweetened one, but any type will do. So many are available from oat, almond, soya and hemp (plus many more!).
This vegan chocolate ganache is super simple to make.
- Break up or chop the chocolate into a heat-proof bowl.
- Place on top of a saucepan with some simmering water in it.
- Let the chocolate melt.
- Once melted, remove from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes. If it doesn't cool, it could split when you add the vegan/plant based milk.
- Add the vegan/plant based milk bit by bit, stirring as you go. It may look a bit messy and odd when you do this, but keep going and you'll get the glossy smooth vegan chocolate ganache by the end!
- Once done, top your cake or favourite dessert with the ganache. More ideas below for yummy ways to use it. It's easiest to use a spatula/scrapper to top cakes with the chocolate ganache - this gets it all out of the bowl and gives a nice professional texture to the surface of the cake.
This vegan chocolate ganache is so versatile in terms of how you can flavour it. Some delicious ideas are:
- Orange - add some orange zest or orange essence to the ganache.
- Mint - add a few drops of mint oil or essence.
- Almond - add a few drops of almond essence / extract.
Ideally, use it straight after it's made to top your dessert / dip your brownie bite. Anything leftover can go into an airtight container and be stored in the fridge.
Yes. Reheat in a heat-proof bowl over some simmering water to loosen it up so you can spread it or dip things in it.
Yes, all ingredients are gluten free.
This recipe was developed by Vanessa, one of the original co-founders of this site. Vanessa is now working on her plant based health coaching business, Energise and Thrive Plant Based. She helps people get high energy, great health, and balanced eating with delicious plant-based food.
She’s also brought out her FREE Guide - 5 Steps to Balanced Plant Based Eating which you’re welcome to download. Of course, all the recipes she has created for The Vegan Larder (like this one!) will remain here for you to access.
🎂How to use vegan ganache
It's such a versatile ingredient. Here are some of the ideas we love.
- Cake topping - we use it to top our delicious Ultimate Vegan Chocolate Cake.
- Topping brownies or tray bakes - we love spreading it across these Easy Vegan Banana Brownies!
- Dipping pieces of brownies - for mini brownie bites or brownie balls. We loved using this vegan chocolate ganache as part of our Vegan Afternoon Tea, where we dipped in mini slices of brownie then topped them with fresh raspberries.
- Topping cupcakes or fairy cakes - it's great on top of our zucchini muffins.
- Drizzling on ice cream or pancakes - you'll have to do this before the ganache has cooled so it's nice and runny. Or reheat the vegan ganache.
- Topping a vegan chocolate mousse - try our amazing black bean mousse!
- Dipping vegan chocolate truffles.
- Dipping fresh fruit.
Once you've added the vegan chocolate ganache to your dessert or cake, you can add any toppings from fresh fruit and nuts to chocolate shavings.
Two Ingredient Vegan Chocolate Ganache
- 300 g Dark vegan chocolate
- 120 ml Non-dairy milk
- Break up the chocolate and place in a glass bowl.
- Place bowl above simmering water to melt the chocolate.
- Once the chocolate is melted, remove from the heat. Let it cool for a few minutes.
- Slowly stir in the non-dairy milk, a little bit at a time and mix in well. The consistency may look odd and messy at first - just keep going and it will turn smooth once all the non-dairy milk is thoroughly mixed in.
Decorating your desserts
- If dipping in pieces of brownie, drop these into the ganache with a fork, then pull them out and scrap some of the ganache off the bottom. Place on baking parchment to set.
- If decorating a cake or tray bake, simply spread it on the item and let it set.
- Top with fresh fruit or any other toppings straight after the ganache is applied. This means the topping will stick to the dessert.