It's quite well known that seeds, including chia & linseeds are powerhouses when it comes to lots of good things like Omega 3, fibre & being high in protein & fatty acids. The thing is though, knowing how to easily incorporate them into your diet, which is where these utterly delicious, Super Seed Crackers are here to help you out! (Plus they are naturally Gluten Free too! Yay!)
I know lots of you probably use seeds like chia to make Chia puddings or breakfasts, or sprinkle ground linseed over your porridge in the morning (Vanessa uses them loads in her High Protein Superfood Breakfast Bowl ).
But if you're not a massive fan of porridge or chia pudding like me (Louise here!) then getting all the lovely micro-nutrients provided by all these lovely seeds can be a bit tricky. Which fortunately this yummy Super Seed Cracker Recipe isn't!
I used 4 different types of seeds in this recipe, because I happened to have some in the cupboard. Chia seeds, Golden Linseed, Camelina seeds & Sesame seeds. Hodmedods kindly gave us some British grown pulses & seeds last year, including the Camelina seeds & the Golden Linseeds, and I honestly was wondering what to do with them apart from using them ground up in baking.
Camelina seeds have been grown for thousands of years in Britain, and can be used in pretty much the same way as linseeds (also known as flax seed). And it turns out that they are also delicious made into crackers!
You really don't need to use 4 different types of seeds in these crackers, but they do taste lovely with at least 2 or 3, as the different types of seeds have different crunches & flavours. So use whatever seeds you have around (like those chia seeds that you promised yourself you'd use up!)
The best thing is, these seeded crackers are also super easy to make! You just need to mix, press the mixture out between two sheets of baking paper & bake in a low oven.
First of all, mix the ingredients together,
& let the water activate the natural gelling properties of the seeds.
Then, splodge the mixture out onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
Add another sheet of baking paper over the top, then use your hands or a rolling pin to squish & smooth the seed mix out until it's about 3-4mm thick.
Remove the top sheet of baking paper & bake in a low oven!
You can add some spices for variety (I like a little bit of chilli powder or some herbs such as oregano).
These Super Seed Crackers taste amazing to snack on just on their own, or are also completely delicious with some hummus or some vegan cheese & chutney. (Oh- and they're completely gluten free too!)
Super Seed Crackers
- 40 g whole linseeds
- 40 g whole sesame seeds
- 40 g chia seeds
- 40 g camelina seeds (or use 80 g linseed instead of camelina seed)
- 40 g chickpea or split pea flour
- pinch salt
- pinch cayenne pepper optional
- Mix all the ingredients together with around 4 tablespoons of water- add a little extra if needed.
- Leave for around 5 mins, this will allow the natural 'gelling' of the seeds to activate, which helps bind the crackers together
- Preheat the oven to around 140C/Gas Mark 1
- Line a baking tray with baking paper & dollop the mixture out on top of it
- Put another sheet of paper over the top of the mixture, then push with your fingers, or use a rolling pin to smooth the mixture out so it's one thin layer, around 3-4mm thick
- Remove the top level of baking paper
- Put in the oven for around 45 mins, or until crispy. It might buckle a little in the heat, but that's ok.
- Remove from the oven & let cool.
- Break up into largish pieces.
- Eat on it's own, or add hummus or anything else you would normally eat with a cracker.
- Store in an airtight container. These crackers can keep for up to 3 weeks. (maybe longer! But I haven't tested that, as I ate them all!)