Oh yeah. Courgette Season. It's BAAAAACK! And we love it. In fact, I love it so much that every year I grow at least two plants too many of the green torpedos. Which means that all our lucky readers will be able to once again, find creative recipes like this Grilled Courgette, White Bean & Salsa Verde dish.
Courgette season conveniently coincides with BBQ season, which obviously means that if we CAN create something that's BBQable.. then we will. (See also our Courgette Babaganoush recipe if you want another great BBQable recipe to use up a glut!)
Top Vegan BBQ Tip!! If you're out at a friends BBQ, make sure to sling the courgettes (and any other veggies & vegan bits you fancy grilling) on the BBQ before everyone gets happy putting their burgers on it. Even better top tip, throw your own BBQ & make sure you're in charge of all the food.
So, why is this ridiculously easy recipe so great? It's actually down to the salsa. In fact, this recipe isn't ACTUALLY about the courgettes (although they are great, truly) it's about the Salsa Verde. You see, you can grill all kinds of scrummy veggies on the BBQ, or even roast in the oven. Add some kind of bean (if you fancy it) then add this Salsa Verde. BAM! You have a dish that's worthy of serving up to friends & family.
Salsa Verde is the tangy, salty, herby, capery green sauce that will elevate all your BBQ veggies. Courgettes included.
Courgette & White Beans with Salsa Verde
For accuracy, I measure all ingredients in metric as standard, then convert and test the recipe for American cup measurements etc.
(Heads up Aussie and UK readers- your measurements in cups are sometimes different, so please use metric or check you have the correct cup and spoon type!!)
- 2 tablespoon Capers
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil (or more if you think it's needed)
- ½ lemon (juiced)
- 1 tablespoon Mint
- 1 tablespoon Parsley
For the Grilled Courgettes + White Beans
- 3-4 Medium Courgettes
- 1 tin Butterbeans ((400g tin))
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Salsa
- Roughly Chop the Capers
- Finely chop the herbs
- Mix all the other ingredients with the Capers & Herbs.
- Taste & add more lemon or oil if you think it needs it!
For the Courgette & White Beans
- Heat the BBQ
- Slice the courgettes length wise into thin strips.
- Slick the courgette slices with the oil
- Grill the courgette slices until they have softened & have a nice char mark on them.
- Mix together the courgettes with the drained white beans onto a platter.
- Sprinkle over some of the Salsa Verde, then serve, with extra Salsa Verde on the side for your guests to help themselves as they like.