For those who know us, Vanessa is usually the one who comes up with the chocolate & nut butter based treats. But no, this time it is me, Louise, bringing you these utterly scrummy Salted Peanut Choc Chunk Cookies. *which just happen to be Gluten Free!
Vanessa's love for all things nut butter is legendary. She's devoted whole posts to her obsession- (you can find out what her top nut butters are over on this post). I also like nut butter, don't get me wrong, it's just that my obsession isn't quite as .. erm.. nutty (sorry not sorry)
However, I had a vague memory of some yummy salted peanut biscuits that my lovely Granny used to make & decided to use that idea to end up with my own version. And I'm very glad I did!
These yummy little cookies are dead easy to make. It's simply a blend of peanut butter, chickpea flour, brown sugar & water, with some chocolate chunks from a vegan chocolate bar that I bashed up (I didn't have any choc chips) to make them even more delicious. I'm pretty sure these would be fab without the chocolate chunks, but where would the fun be in that!
All you have to do is mix up the batter, add in the chocolate pieces if you're using them, then roll them out into balls, squishing them down with a fork. A sprinkle of flaky salt & a quick 20 mins in the oven & you have a yummy nutty treat!
I used crunchy peanut butter with these, which I like as it gives them a satisfying crunch, but use smooth if that's what you have. You could even go crazy & try a different type of nut butter. Cashew would be AMAZING I'm sure!
*NB I used chickpea flour, but I think you would be able to use ordinary flour, I haven't tested it though! Chickpea flour is amazing as it's gluten-free, has extra protein in it & also helps to bind the cookies.
These treats are perfect for a post work out snack or would be fab to take on a hike. They're high in protein & have just enough sugar to give you a boost!
I'm going to make another batch of these Salted Peanut Choc Chunk Cookies really soon. I might even share them with Vanessa!
If you loved these Salted Peanut Choc Chunk Cookies, you might like these recipes too:
Salted Peanut Choc Chunk Cookies
- 170 g crunchy peanut butter (⅔ Cup)
- 50 g brown sugar (¼ cup)
- 50 g Chickpea (gram) flour (¼ cup)
- 50 g Chocolate chunks or chips ¼ cup
- 3-4` Tbsp water enough to bind
- flakey salt I like Maldon Salt
- Preheat your oven to 190C/ Gas Mark 5
- In a large bowl, add the Nut butter, Sugar & Chickpea flour
- Add the water & stir to combine. Add a little extra water if the dough is too dry
- Stir through the chocolate chunks
- Line a cookie sheet/oven sheet with baking paper
- Use a teaspoon to scoop out walnut sized chunks of dough. Lightly roll them into a ball
- Place them on the cookie sheet, sprinkle the flaky salt over them & use a fork to slightly flatten them
- Bake in the oven for around 20 mins, until golden.
- Leave to cool slightly before eating!