Forever a favourite, these Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies never fail to satisfy! The best thing about these yummy vegan cookies is that they are made with only 4 ingredients and are gluten-free! These treats are perfect for a post-work-out snack, are fab to take on a hike or just for a treat.
🥣Why make these cookies?
These simple peanut butter cookies are the BOMB! They're the best because they're:
- super easy to make - everything goes in one bowl, gets mixed up and baked.
- high in protein from the gram/chickpea flour (check our guide to vegan protein for more ideas!)
- naturally gluten-free.
- travel well for hikes, car journies or just being out and about.
- have the two best ingredients in the world - chocolate and peanut butter.
These cookies are based on a vague memory of some yummy salted peanut biscuits that my lovely Granny used to make, and we know Granny's cooking is always best. I'm very glad I did - my vegan peanut butter chocolate chip cookies have been a hit. If you want to try another of my Granny's easy recipes, you should definitely try this one: Granny's Famous Rum Balls made Vegan!
These vegan chocolate chip peanut butter cookies are made from just four ingredients plus a little bit of water and a sprinkle of sea salt. Amazing.
- Peanut butter - High in protein and good fats, and also helps to bind these cookies. I used Biona Crunchy Peanut Butter, which I like as it gives them a satisfying crunch, but use smooth peanut butter if that's what you have.
- Chocolate chips - either chips or chunks will work. Sometimes I just use chocolate chunks from a vegan chocolate bar that I bashed up; chocolate is chocolate after all! I'm pretty sure these would be fab without the chocolate chunks, but where would the fun be in that?
- Chickpea flour - which is also known as gram flour, besan flour or garbanzo flour. It's made from ground up chickpeas. Chickpea flour is amazing as it's gluten-free, has extra protein in it & also helps to bind the cookies. I think you would be able to use ordinary flour, I haven't tested it though!
- Brown sugar- a small amount of sugar goes into these cookies. I use brown sugar for the flavour, but you could use any other granulated sugar.
- Flakey salt - we all know salt goes well with chocolate and nuts, I love flakey salt which is easy to sprinkle on and looks pretty. I tend to use Maldon sea salt.
These yummy vegan chocolate chip peanut butter cookies are wonderfully easy to make. All you have to do is:
- Mix up a batter of the peanut butter, chickpea (or gram) flour, brown sugar & water.
2. Add chocolate chips/chunks. You should get a lovely batter like in the mix above.
3) Scoop out the batter with a spoon or icescream scoop.
4) Squish the cookies with a fork, add a sprinkle of salt and bake for 20 mins.
❄️Storing and Freezing
If you don't eat these vegan chocolate chip peanut butter cookies immediately(!), you'll be pleased to know that they store very well. They'll keep for up to a month in an airtight container and they'll stay nice and fresh.
You can freeze these cookies if you desire. They will be good for up to three months. Pop them in the oven for a few minutes to refresh their flavours.
🥜Substitutions and Variations
This recipe is already totally vegan and gluten-free. However you might want to try these fun alternative ideas to make it:
- Nut Free- try making this with Sun-Butter (this is a nut free sunflower seed butter).
- Milk Chocolate- try using vegan milk or white chocolate chips.
- Other legume flours- yellow split pea flour is excellent as a substitute for chickpea/gram flour.
Yes, you can use any nut butter. I love using almond nut butter.
Of course, but obviously chocolate makes everything amazing! You could add raisins or whole nuts instead of chocolate chips.
I love these cookies with this homemade 4 ingredient icecream for my own version of Vegan Cookies and Cream Icecream! If you want to buy your icecream, we love Jude's Salted Caramel vegan icecream. Of course, these cookies taste amazing on their own (that's generally how I eat them!).
I'm going to make another batch of these vegan chocolate chip peanut butter cookies really soon, so I hope you try them too!
Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies. (Gluten Free!)
- Preheat your oven to 190°C / 375°F / Gas Mark 5.
- In a large bowl, add the nut butter, sugar & chickpea flour.170 g crunchy peanut butter, 50 g Chickpea (gram) flour, 50 g brown sugar
- Add the water & stir to combine. Add a little extra water if the dough is too dry.3-4 tablespoon water
- Stir through the chocolate chips.50 g Chocolate chunks or chips
- Line a cookie sheet/oven sheet with baking paper.
- Use a teaspoon to scoop out walnut sized chunks of dough. Lightly roll them into a ball.
- Place them on the cookie sheet, sprinkle the flaky salt over them & use a fork to slightly flatten them.A sprinkle of flakey salt
- Bake in the oven for around 20 mins, until golden.
- Leave to cool slightly before eating. Don't worry if they're a bit soft when they come out the oven - they will harden up!