These delightfully simple savoury cheese biscuits are a vegan version of my Granny's old fashioned, but much loved recipe. Sharp, buttery and cheesy, these little morsels are more like a savoury shortbread cookie than a cracker. Perfect for sharing with a round of drinks or as a canape!
These little savoury cheese biscuits are the perfect bite to serve at a party, especially if there are cocktails involved. They're fancy enough to be canapes, but easy enough to whip up yourself without too much fuss.
I like to serve them with my Granny's Tomato and Onion Chutney recipe to dip them into. Actually, on the subject of my Granny's cooking, she really did know how to celebrate life and another of her classic recipes is one I tend to bring out for Christmas parties especially is her Rum Balls , which I made vegan too.
These vegan cheese cookies have simple ingredients but an amazing outcome! This recipe is adapted from a non-vegan recipe of my Grannies.
- Vegan Cheese block: I've tested both the Cathedral cheese and the Vegan Applewood block. I've also tested the pre-grated Applewood cheese and all worked well. I suggest testing out your favourite sharp vegan cheddar if you don't use either of these brands, as some might work better than others.
- Vegan Butter Block: I like vegan Flora Block or the Naturali Block.
- Plain/AP flour: Ordinary plain flour is what worked for my Granny, and it worked well here.
- Chili Powder: Granny's recipe specifies a pinch of cayenne pepper. You can choose to leave it out or not.
- A tiny smidge of water. A little water helps the cookie batter come together.
See recipe card for quantities.
Follow along with these step by step instructions for the perfect savoury vegan cheese biscuits:
1. Grate the frozen Butter.
2. Grate the vegan cheese
3. In a bowl mix the butter and cheese with the chili powder and flour. Rub the butter into the flour.
4. Add a tiny bit of water to the dough to help it combine (about 2 tablespoons)
5. Roll the cheese mixture into balls and back at 180C/356F for 10 minutes or until golden and puffed.
Hint: Freeze your block of butter to make it easier to grate.
🌶️Substitutions & Variations
This simple recipe can be switched up to make it your own:
- Not spicy: Just omit the chili powder.
- Gluten Free: Use your favourite gluten free flour.
- Herby: add in dried oregano or sage for a lovely herbal flavour that is particularly addictive with the cheesy taste.
🍪Biscuits or Cookies?
A little clarification on the terms used. In the UK and Australia, cookies are often called biscuits, especially short and crumbly ones that would be served with a cup of tea (or a cocktail), which is what these are. This recipe is not a US 'Biscuit' which is more like a scone, and served with gravy.
So: To my UK and Aussie readers: These are Savoury Vegan Cheese Biscuits.
To my USA readers: These are Savory Vegan Cheese Cookies.
Hope that clears it up!
You'll need a good box grater with a fine grater section for this recipe, as well as a bowl and some oven trays.
Store these vegan savory cheese biscuits in an airtight container away from sunlight for up to 3 weeks. You can also freeze them for up to three months. Pop them in the oven to warm through and revive their yummy cheesy taste.
Super cold or frozen blocks of butter are easier to grate!
These vegan cheese cookies will stay fresh in an airtight container for up to three weeks (although I do think they will be eaten up before then!)
A sharp flavoured cheese is best for cheese cookies. You can choose pre-grated or a block form that you grate. Cheese slices are not suitable!
Canapes and Appetizers
Be the host with the most with these vegan canapes and apps!
🧀More Cheese Please!
More Cheesy Vegan Recipes:
Vegan Savoury Cheese Biscuits (Cookies)
For accuracy, I measure all ingredients in metric as standard, then convert and test the recipe for American cup measurements etc.
(Heads up Aussie and UK readers- your measurements in cups are sometimes different, so please use metric or check you have the correct cup and spoon type!!)
- 115 g (1 cups) vegan cheese
- 115 g (1 cups) vegan butter
- 120 g (1 cups) plain flour / all purpose flour
- pinch chili powder
- 2 tablespoon water
- Preheat your oven to 180℃/ 350℉
- Finely grate the vegan butter (grate from frozen)115 g vegan butter
- Finely grate the vegan cheese.115 g vegan cheese
- In a bowl mix the cheese and butter in with the flour and chili powder until it resembles crumbs.120 g plain flour / all purpose flour, pinch chili powder
- Add a small amount of water to the cheese cookie mix.2 tablespoon water
- Roll into walnut size balls (about 3cm diameter) and put onto a lined baking tray
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden.
- Serve once the cookies cool down a little.