I’ve been so excited about getting these gluten free courgette (or zucchini) fritters up on the blog. Louise has done some delicious fritter recipes in the past, which made me a total convert to them. I wanted to do a gluten free version of the zucchini fritters this time for anyone with allergies and intolerances, and add some other delicious ingredients! These have a great firm texture, an extra crunch from the pinenuts, and a freshness from the herbs and capers.
Louise and I are both massive fritter fans, and courgette / zucchini fans! As Louise grows an abundance of these every year, we are constantly challenged to make delicious and fun recipes to share with you using ‘mandatory courgettes’ (as Louise calls them!).
Why do we love fritters?
Fritters taste like a bit of a naughty burger treat as they are fried, but they are basically just veggies and a bit of flour with yummy flavours! They are really versatile (and kid-approved!) so we take them on picnics, use them as canapes and they are suitable for breakfast, lunch or dinner… did I mention they are versatile?! Check out our selection of fritters, lovingly made by Louise!
You can also make these gluten free courgette / zucchini fritters in advance. So you may make the mixture / patties, then fry them just before a big dinner. I often fry them all up, then have them for breakfast for a few days and freeze some for another time. Mmmm breakfast… if you’re struggling for breakfast recipes, you’ll love our round up of the best and easiest vegan breakfasts.
So what makes these courgette / zucchini fritters gluten free?
Basically, the only thing that made the other fritters on our blog not gluten free was the plain flour in them (which helps bind them and give them body). So in the courgette fritters I’ve just used a gluten free flour; chickpea flour (otherwise known as gram flour). Of course, if you want to make any of our other fritters gluten free, you can just replace the plain flour for gram / chickpea flour. We have tones of amazing Gluten Free recipes; all of them are here!
What else is in our gluten free courgette fritters that makes them so delicious?!
Pine nuts - this gives them a delicious crunch!
Capers - giving them lemony, olive-like tang
Fresh Herbs - mint, parsley, coriander or basil are all great, and give a fabulous freshness and flavour
Oh yes, serving them with a sweet chili dipping sauce makes them EVEN more delicious!!
What other vegetables could I put in my fritters?
The joy of fritters; you can use up whatever veggies you have lying around to reduce waste, or just mix up the veggies you use to keep things interesting. For some inspiration, these are Louise’s fritter creations:
- Aussie Breakfast Corn Fritters with Roasted Tomatoes
- Parsnip Pancake Fritters with Garlicy Spinach
- Sweet Corn & Courgette Fritters
- Bottom of the Fridge Vegan Vegetable Fritters
If you liked our gluten free courgette fritters, please rate and comment below. This really helps others discover and try our yummy food. Thank you 🙂
Vegan Courgette Fritters with Pine Nuts (G.F. recipe)
- Tea towel / muslin cloth
- Mixing Bowl
- Frying Pan
- 3 large courgette / zucchini (grated)
- 4-5 tbsp milled linseed / flaxseed
- 5 spring onions / scallions (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed / finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp capers
- 125 g pine nuts (¼ cup)
- Chili to taste (optional)
- Handful fresh herbs e.g. mint or basil (chopped finely)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 110 g gram / chickpea flour (1 cup)
- Oil, for frying
- First, squeeze the water out of the grated courgette / zucchini by placing it, a few handfuls at a time, in a clean tea towel / muslin. Then wring out as much moisture as possible.
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl, except the oil. Mix everything together well; don’t be scared to get your hands involved!
- Form the mixture into patties. It should make around 20.
- Add the oil to the pan and get the pan nice and hot so you can seal the outsides of the fritters (to avoid soggy bottoms!). Fry on each side for a few minutes or until nicely browned.
- Remove from the pan and serve immediately or later. Sweet chili dipping sauce goes really well with them!