Everyone loves those little potato pancakes known as Latkes...am I right? Crispy on the outside and tender in the middle. Perfect for topping with cream cheese and lox (yep- we have vegan versions of those.) That's why these yummy and easy 4 ingredient vegan latkes made with potatoes & parsnips are going to be your new favourite too!
What makes these so great? It's all in the simple ingredients:
🧾4 Simple Plant ingredients!
Potatoes: Potatoes are the backbone of a great latke. I use a floury variety for texture and flavour.
Parsnips: Parsnips add a subtle sweetness and earthyness to the latkes. You can leave them out and just use all potatoes if you like.
Chickpea Flour: We use chickpea flour (also known as gram flour or garbanzo flour) as the binding agent. It does double duty at replacing the traditional eggs and flour. Makeing these gluten free AND vegan! Yay! This is our favourite brand (affiliate link)
Olive Oil: A little bit of olive oil helps coat each little grated piece of potato or parsnip and helps cook them through & bind them together. We only use a drizzle, not a lot. But for some reason it creates the best result, time after time.
Seasonings: In this recipe we use a little salt to taste. You could also add herbs, onion or even a hint of smoked paprika, but we like them as is, ready for toppings! 👩🍳
👩🍳Easy step by step instructions:
❓FAQ for the Vegan Parsnip Latkes
We like floury potatoes such as Desiree, King Edward or Maris Piper.
You can definitely just use either if you want to. Potatoes will need to be squeezed out more if you just use those.
It makes for a less soggy and more crispy and delicious latke.
This helps the chickpea flour work to bind them together! You can squish them with a spatula or use 2 tablespoons to do this.
We have tested them both baked and pan fried. Both work equally well! Baking makes them a little healthier and is a little less messy (for us)
Yes you can! You might want to experiment to see how long they take for your particular machine.
🥞Serving Ideas for the Latkes
We love these vegan parsnip and potato latkes served up with some vegan cream cheese and some of our homemade vegan Carrot 'Lox on top
Vegan Cream Cheese Recipe (coming soon!)
They also taste great with dips and hummus as a delicious canape idea: Simply pile some dip on top of the latke and top with herbs!
If you make these latkes, and love them as much as we do, please leave us some stars and comment below! (oh - and share with all your friends too!!)
4 Ingredient Vegan Parsnip & Potato Latkes
- 350 g parsnips (around 3 medium)
- 350 g potatoes (around 3 medium)
- 4 tablespoon chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch salt to taste
- extra oil to fry if pan frying.
- Peel the parsnips and potatoes
- Grate the parsnips and potatoes, either using a box grater or the attachment on your food processor
- Put the grated veggies into a clean tea towel and squeeze to remove excess liquid. This helps to make a crisp and delicious latke
- Put the potatoes & parsnips in a bowl, then sprinkle over the chickpea flour. Mix well to coat every little piece.
- Drizzle over the olive oil and stir again, making sure there is an even coating of chickpea flour and oil distributed all over the parsnips & potatoes.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/392°F/Gas Mark 6
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper
- Use a tablespoon of the mixture and firm it down with another spoon. Slide onto the sheet. Repeat with all the mixture. (How many latkes you end up with, depends on how big they are!)
- (optional but creates a golden finish) Use a brush and brush the latkes with a little extra olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for around 15 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Pan fry the latkes in batches of 4 or 5. Be sure to push down on the latkes with a spatula before flipping them over to ensure they 'stick' together well.
- Serve with vegan cream cheese and vegan carrot lox.. or just as is!