This recipe sounds a little mad, but bear with us, it really does work! Super easy to make Vegan Smoked Salmon Lox, made with carrots is totally possible and is also deliciously easy!
What makes this recipe so great is that it uses lots of easy-to-find ingredients that you combine to make a little bit of vegan magic. Carrots marinated in smokey briney flavours somehow turn into a delicious smoked salmon analog! Who knew?!
The great thing about this simple vegan smoked salmon carrot recipe is that it can be used in so many ways!
We like to eat it as part of a canape, either on a blini, a cracker or even on our scrummy parsnip latkes (so easy! check out the recipe..)
If you wanted to be fancy, you could blend some up with our fave easy-to make vegan cream cheese, for a 'smoked salmon' dip. Or just have it on top of it as we have shown in the photos.
Carrot: The humble carrot simply gets finely sliced, then gently simmered to soften it up, ready to take on the flavouring.
Nori Seaweed: We use a simple marinade that includes seaweed for an authentic 'of the sea' taste.
Smokey Flavour: Smoked Paprika and Liquid Smoke: You could get a smoker out, (a project for another day!) but we infuse the carrot with smoked paprika and liquid smoke for the classic smoke-house flavour.
Dill: classic smoked salmon dishes often include dill, so we utilise it here to create a flavour memory that pairs perfectly with the smokey flavours!
👩🍳Easy Step by Step Instructions
❓FAQ for making the Carrot Smoked Salmon
For at least 2-3 hours, or overnight in the fridge
The marinade is very strongly flavoured! Once you have infused the carrot with it, it gets rinsed off, otherwise it would not be so nice to eat.
It lasts up to a week in the fridge.
Liquid smoke comes in little jars- we like Stubbs- (affliate link)
Nori is the same seaweed that you find around your sushi! You can buy it in flakes, or crumble up a sushi sheet. (We use these flakes- affiliate link)
On our parsnip latkes: 4 Ingredient Vegan Parsnip & Potato Latkes
Instead of the tofu in these sandwiches Scandi Inspired Smoked Tofu Sandwich
Mixed through our favourite easy to make cream cheese. Or on top of it!
What will you eat your yummy vegan 'Smoked Salmon' Carrot Lox with? Let us know in the comments (and leave us some stars too!) x
Vegan "Smoked Salmon" Carrot Lox
- 250 g carrot (about 4 medium carrots)
for the marinade
- Using a vegetable peeler or mandoline slicer, cut the carrots into thin strips.
- Boil carrot strips for 10 minutes with 1 tablespoon salt. You want them to be just a bit soft.
- Once done, drain the carrots and let them cool down a little. You can run them under cold water to speed up the process.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in an airtight container
- Add the carrot strips to the marinade and leave at least 3 hours, or preferably overnight.
- When ready to eat, rinse most of the marinade off the carrot (use a colander)
- Enjoy on a sandwich or to top a canape.