Back when I used to eat eggs, I would make little 'bites' with a scrambled egg mix & whatever I felt like added for a quick & easy protein-rich breakfast or snack, which made me think, could I do the same but vegan? The answer is YES! And so I give you, Vegan Eggless Bites (aka Vegan Mini Frittatas!)
Really, you could also call these Mini Frittatas, Crustless quiches, Chickpea flour Quiches, Tofu Frittatas or even Vegan Protein Muffins.
Whatever.. You can call them what you like! You do you..
Heads up! This post contains affiliate links, so we'll earn a little commission from qualifying purchases. This keeps us creating vegelicious content 🙂
The point isn't the name, the point is that these little bite size snacks are SUPER easy to make, portable to take with you on your adventures for snacks, picnics or even breakfast on the go. And are easy to add lots of different flavours to! Yay!
How you make these vegan bites could not be easier... simply mix up the batter , then get creative with what you add to the eggless mix. Yum!
Not only that, the batter couldn't be easier.. it's just tofu (we like Clearspring brand), (affiliate link) chickpea flour (also known as gram flour) and some spices. The 'eggy' flavour is created by Kala Namak, (affiliate link) which is a type of salt (also known as black salt) that has sulphurous undertones. A little goes a long way!
Incidentally, this is the perfect recipe to make if you have lots of guests or kids over for brunch/a sleep over. Put out a selection of goodies on the table & let your kiddos/guests add their own tasty ingredients to the muffin pans, then pour the batter over & bake. Maybe make some smoothies up whilst you wait for them to cook.
In the pan below I've added:
- Peas and vegan 'bacon' (use this recipe to make your own 'bacon', or use some smoked tofu or your favourite "Facon" brand)
- Broccoli Florets & vegan pesto
- Cherry tomatoes & olives
- Kale & Vegan Cheese
Muffin tin with various fillings for the Eggless Bites:
Eggless Bites tofu & chickpea flour mixture ready to be blitzed in the food processor:
Eggless bites ready to go in the oven:
Eggless Bites out of the oven and ready to eat!
Other yummy ideas to add to your Vegan Eggless Bites / Mini Vegan Frittatas are:
- Roasted Red peppers
- Caramelised Onions
- A dab of your favourite chutney + some vegan cheese
- Asparagus & wild garlic
- Semi Dried Tomatoes & Basil
- Fresh herbs from the garden (chives, parsley etc)
- Sauteed Leeks & Vegan cheese
- Cubes of cooked potato, herbs & vegan cheese
What would you add to yours Vegan Eggless Bites? Let us know in the comments below! We love new ideas 🙂
Vegan Eggless Bites (Mini Frittatas)
- Muffin Tin
For the Frittata 'mix'
- 600g silken tofu equivalent of 2 long life silken tofu packs
- 100 g gram (chickpea) flour you might need a little more.
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Kala Namek (Black Himalayan Salt) optional- this gives a very 'eggy' flavour to the mix
- 4 Tbs nutritional yeast
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 3-4 Tbs water
For Filling 1
- handful frozen peas
- 1-2 rashers vegan bacon 'facon' finely chopped
For Filling 2
- small broccoli florets
- vegan pesto
For Filling 3
- 1-2 pieces Kale
- 1 slice vegan cheese, torn up
For Filling 4
- 1 cherry tomato per muffin
- 2 olives per muffin
- assorted herbs to taste
- Use cupcake holders to line a 12 hole cupcake/muffin tin well and turn your oven on to Gas mark 7/220C
- Meanwhile, whizz together all the 'Egg bite/frittata mix' ingredients in your food processor or blender (If you don't have a food processor, mash the tofu up with a fork then mix all the other ingredients in by hand.
- Distribute the various fillings in the muffin cases as desired
- Spoon around 3 Tablespoons of the frittata/Egg bite mixture into each muffin tin and put in the oven for around 15-20 minutes. Check after 15, the frittatas should be slightly springy to touch.
- Once done, leave to cool for a few minutes then gently run a knife around each frittata and remove from the tin.