These super simple vegan egg bites are made with tofu and chickpea flour in place of the eggs and are just SO delicious for snacking or breakfast. I love to make a batch of these Vegan Egg Bites and have them ready to go for easy breakfasts during the week. They also make a great little appetiser and are absolutely brilliant for taking on picnics or for eating when on-the-go!
Back when I used to eat eggs, I would make little 'bites' with a scrambled egg mix & whatever I felt like added for a quick & easy protein-rich breakfast or snack, which made me think, could I do the same but vegan? The answer is YES! And so I give you, Vegan Egg Bites This recipe is super similar to my Vegan Courgette & Leek Frittata recipe, but made mini and can be customised to suit who you're making them for.
I've called this recipe Vegan Egg Bites, but you could also call these Mini Frittatas, Crustless quiches, Chickpea Flour Quiches, Tofu Frittatas or even Vegan Protein Muffins.
The great thing about these vegan egg bites is you can switch up the flavours according to your own personal taste!
To make the basic scrambled egg style batter you need:
- Silken Tofu (I like Clearspring brand)
- Chickpea Flour- also known as gram flour or garbanzo flour.
- Kala Namak, makes the eggy flavour . Kala Namak is a type of salt (also known as black salt) that has sulphurous undertones. A little goes a long way!
- Nutritional Yeast for a subtle cheesy flavour
- Turmeric to give the perfect subtle golden 'egg' colour.
Incidentally, this is the perfect recipe to make if you have lots of guests or kids over for brunch/a sleep over. Put out a selection of goodies on the table & let your kiddos/guests add their own tasty ingredients to the muffin pans, then pour the batter over & bake. Maybe make some smoothies up whilst you wait for them to cook.
Some great ideas for fillings are:
- Peas and vegan 'bacon' (use this recipe to make your own 'bacon', or use some smoked tofu or your favourite "Facon" brand)
- Broccoli Florets & vegan pesto
- Cherry tomatoes & olives
- Kale & Vegan Cheese
- Whizz up all the vegan egg batter ingredients in a blender or food processor.
2. The batter for the egg bites should be smooth and thick.
3.Line muffin tins and add in your favourite fillings, (see below for ideas)
4. Top the fillings with batter and add some extra toppings if you wish then bake.
There are loads of yummy ideas that you could add to your egg-free vegan egg bites! Here are some easy ideas for you.
- Roasted Red peppers
- Caramelised Onions
- A dab of your favourite chutney + some vegan cheese
- Asparagus & wild garlic
- Semi Dried Tomatoes & Basil
- Fresh herbs from the garden (chives, parsley etc)
- Sauteed Leeks & Vegan cheese
- Cubes of cooked potato, herbs & vegan cheese
🥗Similar Recipes & Serving Ideas
You might like to try these other easy breakfast recipes and fun cooking ideas:
- Vegan Pasta Frittata
- Easy Savoury Vegan Spinach Muffins
- Vegan Raspberry Muffins
- Cheesy Vegan Savoury Pumpkin Scones
You can keep these for up to a week in the fridge.
Yes, just pop them in the freezer for up to three months. You can thaw these and eat as is, or reheat them for 10 minutes so they are nice and warm.
Absolutely! This recipe is based on my easy frittata recipe. You can use a cake tin or loaf tine and just cook a little longer.
Yes this recipe is completely gluten free!
Vegan Egg Bites (Mini Frittatas)
For accuracy, I measure all ingredients in metric as standard, then convert and test the recipe for American cup measurements etc.
(Heads up Aussie and UK readers- your measurements in cups are sometimes different, so please use metric or check you have the correct cup and spoon type!!)
For the Egg Free Batter 'mix'
- 600g (2 ½ cups) silken tofu (equivalent of 2 long life silken tofu packs)
- 100 g (⅘ cups) gram (chickpea) flour (you might need a little more. )
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Kala Namek (Black Himalayan Salt) (optional- this gives a very 'eggy' flavour to the mix)
- 4 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 3-4 tablespoon water
For Filling 1
- handful frozen peas
- 1-2 rashers vegan bacon 'facon' (finely chopped)
For Filling 2
- small broccoli florets
- vegan pesto
For Filling 3
- 1-2 pieces Kale
- 1 slice vegan cheese, torn up
For Filling 4
- 1 cherry tomato per muffin
- 2 olives per muffin
- assorted herbs to taste
- Use cupcake holders to line a 12 hole cupcake/muffin tin well and turn your oven on to Gas mark 7/220C
- Meanwhile, whizz together all the 'Egg bite/frittata mix' ingredients in your food processor or blender (If you don't have a food processor, mash the tofu up with a fork then mix all the other ingredients in by hand.600g silken tofu, 100 g gram (chickpea) flour, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon Kala Namek (Black Himalayan Salt), 4 tablespoon nutritional yeast, Salt & Pepper to taste, 3-4 tablespoon water
- Distribute the various fillings in the muffin cases as desiredhandful frozen peas, 1-2 rashers vegan bacon 'facon', small broccoli florets, vegan pesto, 1-2 pieces Kale, 1 slice vegan cheese, torn up, 1 cherry tomato per muffin, 2 olives per muffin, assorted herbs to taste
- Spoon around 3 Tablespoons of the frittata/Egg bite mixture into each muffin tin and put in the oven for around 15-20 minutes. Check after 15, the frittatas should be slightly springy to touch.
- Once done, leave to cool for a few minutes then gently run a knife around each frittata and remove from the tin.