Our Vegan Strawberry & Pistachio Semifreddo recipe is actually the result of a happy accident. We were attempting to make a light & fluffy mousse, however it kept separating, which was super frustrating & was driving Vanessa a bit nuts.
So recently after a long day experimenting in the Vegan Larder test kitchen we discovered we had created way too much mixture, which not wanting it to go to waste, Louise decided to put it all the leftovers in the freezer, just to see what would happen. And we are SO glad she did because this amazing light & delicious dessert was born!
Our Strawberry & Pistachio Semifreddo is quite possibly the most perfect thing to eat in summertime.
We had originally trying to make a mousse, so this semi-freddo is light as air due to all the bubbles incorporated into it!
How do you create mousse that's Vegan? Well, it's magic.
Not really: To create a mousse the mixture is based on Aquafaba (which is the water you get after you cook chickpeas) Aquafaba can be used to make meringue, mousse and…. semi freddo it would seem. Aquafaba has a very similar protein structure to works egg whites and when whisked it forms stiff peaks. Magic. It does mean you end up with leftover chickpeas, use them to make hummus!
This Vegan Strawberry & Pistachio Semifreddo will work with any kind of summer fruit . Raspberries would give it a delicious tartness. You could also use peach, blueberries, blackcurrents, or mango! So many yummy choices. The nuts are also optional - or you could try a different kind of nut- Macadamia and peach is a match made in heaven.
We're looking forward to trying all kinds of different fruit combinations, but if you beat us to it, make sure you let us know what you make!
Vegan Strawberry & Pistachio Semifreddo
- ⅔ cup chickpea water about the equivalent of water from 1 can of 400g chickpeas
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 200 g strawberries
- 200 g condensed coconut milk
- 50 g chopped pistachios (plus extra to serve (sprinkle on top))
- Line a freezerproof tin or container with cling film.
- Drain the chickpeas, reserving the liquid. (Use the chickpeas for something else!!- roasted chickpeas are yummy!)
- Take ⅔ cup of the chickpea liquid (also known as aquafaba), and put it in a bowl with the sugar & cream of tartar
- Whisk the mixture for around 10 minutes. Start with a low, slow setting, then gradually build up speed over the 10 minutes. When the mixture peaks it is ready. (NB: This might take longer than 10 mins.. ! )
- Blend the strawberries in a food processor, then carefully fold into the aquafaba mix, along with the condensed coconut milk. Carefully add the chopped pistachios too.
- Pour the whole mixture into the lined container. Place in freezer for 4-6 hours until firm.
- When you 're ready to serve, remove the semifreddo from the freezer & invert onto a plate. The cling film will help you remove it from the container.
- Remove the cling film & decorate with more pistachios, dried strawberries or fresh! Slice to serve.